Get e-mail updates when this information changes.
The Oakland County Water Resources Commissioner's Operations and Maintenance Division completes water system flushing each spring and fall for untreated and annually for treated well water supply systems that we operate and maintain. Flushing consists of opening fire hydrants at the ends of roads and courts. This allows a high volume of water to scour the water mains and remove settled iron particles from the system. System evaluation is completed during the flushing procedure.
Note: Large systems take more than one night to flush. Discoloration can occur on any of the dates we flush the system.
What can the customer do?
- By-pass water softener prior to the start of flushing.
- Try to refrain from using water during the flushing, as you will introduce particles into your piping.
- After flushing is complete, open an outside faucet closest to the point of entry to your home to help clear any discolored water you may have.
- Put the water softener back on-line and manually start the regeneration cycle.
- Drain and refill hot water tank, if necessary. We recommend that you flush out your hot water tank annually.
Use caution, as water is hot!
- We recommend that you clean your faucet aerators twice annually. Aerators are the screens that screw into the end of the faucet.
Please click here for frequently asked flushing questions and answers. You can also contact our Water Maintenance Department at 248-858-1110 for additional information.
Spring 2015 Flushing Schedule
Flushing will begin at 7:00 P.M. and end at 7:00 A.M.
- April 6: Lyon Twp: Woodwind Village, Woodwind
Glen, Woodwind Estates, Tanglewood, Spyglass, Sawgrass, Grenelefe, Point
O' Woods, St. Andrews, Shinnecock, S. Lyon HS, Lyon Ridge, Copperwood,
Kirkway Estates, Country Club Estates
- April 7: Lyon Twp: Hornbrook,
Carriage Club, Elkow Farms, Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek North, Crystal
Creek Condos, Pine Hurst, 10 Mile/Griswold, Stoneleigh
- April 8: Lyon Twp: New Hudson,
Pontiac Trail, Martindale, Twin Pine Condos, Orchards of Lyon, Village
Commons, Saddle Creek, Milford Rd - Grand River to Mill River, Mill
- April 9: Lyon Twp: New Hudson,
Grand River, Lyon Ind., Lyon Oaks, Trident, Alliant Food, Quadrants
Ind., Research Center, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Hass Road, Cummins Inc.
- April 13: Oakland Twp: Country Creek, Woods of
Country Creek, Country Creek Commons, Village of Country Creek, The
Crossings, Century Woods, Twin Lakes, Plum Creek, Knorrwood Knolls
- April 14: Oakland Twp: Country Creek, Woods of Country Creek, Country Creek Commons, Village of Country Creek, The Crossings, Century Woods
- April 15: Oakland Twp: Kirklands, Cloisters,
Claremont, Kings-ridge, Silvercreek, Carrolton, Century Oaks, The
Heights, Silverbell Rd, Wyngate Club House, Pinnacle
- April 16: Oakland Twp: Goodison Place, Orchard Ridge, Wynridge, Wellington, Collins Rd, Oakland Hunt, Wynstone
- April 16: Springfield Twp: Bluewater Bavarian, Softwater
- April 20: Oakland Twp: Oakland Farms,
Oakland Knolls, Oakland Hills, Knorrwood Pines, Knorrwood Ridge, Oak
Arbor, Deer Point, Park Hill, St. Johns Church, Oakland Crest, Guardian
- April 21: Oakland Twp: Oakland
Farms, Oakland Knolls, Oakland Hills, Knorrwood Pines, Knorrwood Ridge,
Oak Arbor, Deer Point, Park Hill, St. Johns Church, Oakland Crest,
Guardian Angel Cemetery, Oakland Valley, Coachlamp
- April 22: Highland Twp: Prestwick Village,
Woods of Prestwick, Timber Ridge, Cobblestone, Highland Valley, Glens
of Highland, Hidden Creek Pines Condos, Highland Rd
- April 23: Highland Twp: Huntwood Place,
South Bay Shores, Axford Acres, Heritage Farms, Centennial Way,
Presidential Way, White House Condos, Highland Place, Bretton Oaks