Get e-mail updates when this information changes.
The Oakland County Water Resources Commissioner's Operations and Maintenance Division completes water system flushing each spring and fall for untreated and annually for treated well water supply systems that we operate and maintain. Flushing consists of opening fire hydrants at the ends of roads and courts. This allows a high volume of water to scour the water mains and remove settled iron particles from the system. System evaluation is completed during the flushing procedure.
Note: Large systems take more than one night to flush. Discoloration can occur on any of the dates we flush the system.
What can the customer do?
Farmington Hills residents click here
(non-Farmington Hills residents only)
- By-pass water softener prior to the start of flushing.
- Try to refrain from using water during the flushing, as you will introduce particles into your piping.
- After flushing is complete, open an outside faucet closest to the point of entry to your home to help clear any discolored water you may have.
- Put the water softener back on-line and manually start the regeneration cycle.
- Drain and refill hot water tank, if necessary. We recommend that you flush out your hot water tank annually.
Use caution, as water is hot!
- We recommend that you clean your faucet aerators twice annually. Aerators are the screens that screw into the end of the faucet.
Please click here for frequently asked flushing questions and answers. You can also contact our Billing Services Department at 248-858-1110 for additional information.
Spring 2018 Flushing Schedule
Flushing will begin at 7:00 P.M. and end at 7:00 A.M.
- April 9: Oakland Twp: Country Creek, Woods of Country Creek, Country Creek Commons, Village of Country Creek, The Crossings, Century Woods, Twin Lakes, Plum Creek, Knorrwood Knolls
- April 10: Oakland Twp: Country Creek, Woods of Country Creek, Country Creek Commons, Village of Country Creek, The Crossings, Century Woods, The Heights, Wyngate Club House
- April 11: Oakland Twp: Kirklands, Cloisters, Claremont, Kings-ridge, Silvercreek, Carrolton, Century Oaks, Silverbell Rd, Pinnacle, Trout Creek, Belmonte
- April 12: Oakland Twp: Goodison Place, Orchard Ridge, Wynridge, Wellington, Collins Rd., Oakland Hunt, Wynstone
Springfield Twp: Bluewater Bavarian, Softwater
- April 16: Oakland Twp: Oakland Farms, Oakland Knolls, Oakland Hills, Knorrwood Pines, Knorrwood Ridge, Oak Arbor, Deer Point, Park Hill, St. Johns Church, Oakland Crest, Guardian Angel Cemetery
- April 17: Oakland Twp: Oakland Farms, Oakland Knolls, Oakland Hills, Knorrwood Pines, Knorrwood Ridge, Oak Arbor, Deer Point, Park Hill, St. Johns Church, Oakland Crest, Guardian Angel Cemetery
Oakland Valley, Coachlamp
- April 18: Highland Twp: Prestwick Village, Woods of Prestwick, Timber Ridge, Cobblestone, Highland Valley, Glens of Highland, Hidden Creek Pines Condos, Highland Rd
- April 19: Highland Twp: Huntwood Place, South Bay Shores, Axford Acres, Heritage Farms, Centennial Way, Presidential Way, White House Condos, Highland Place, Bretton Oaks, White Eagle
- April 22: Lyon Twp: Woodwind Village, Woodwind Glen, Woodwind Estates, S. Lyon HS, Lyon Ridge, Copperwood, Kirkway Estates, Cambrian of Lyon, Rathmor Park, and Enclaves of Lyon
- April 23: Lyon Twp: Tanglewood, Spyglass, Sawgrass, Grenelefe, Point O’ Woods, St. Andrews, Shinnecock, Country Club Estates, 10 Mile / Griswold, Stoneleigh, Greenbrier, Riverwood Estates
- April 24: Lyon Twp: Hornbrook, Carriage Club, Elkow Farms, Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek North, Crystal Creek Condos, Pine Hurst
- April 25: Lyon Twp: New Hudson, Pontiac Trail, Martindale, Twin Pine Condos, Orchards of Lyon, Village Commons, Saddle Creek, Milford Rd - Grand River to Mill River, Mill River, Spring Meadows
- April 26: Lyon Twp: New Hudson, Grand River, Lyon Ind., Lyon Oaks, Trident, Alliant Food, Quadrants Ind., Research Center, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Hass Road, Cummins Inc, Henrob, Magna