Get e-mail updates when this information changes.
The Oakland County Water Resources Commissioner's Operations and Maintenance Division completes water system flushing each spring and fall for untreated and annually for treated well water supply systems that we operate and maintain. Flushing consists of opening fire hydrants at the ends of roads and courts. This allows a high volume of water to scour the water mains and remove settled iron particles from the system. System evaluation is completed during the flushing procedure.
Note: Large systems take more than one night to flush. Discoloration can occur on any of the dates we flush the system.
What can the customer do?
Farmington Hills residents click here
(non-Farmington Hills residents only)
- By-pass water softener prior to the start of flushing.
- Try to refrain from using water during the flushing, as you will introduce particles into your piping.
- After flushing is complete, open an outside faucet closest to the point of entry to your home to help clear any discolored water you may have.
- Put the water softener back on-line and manually start the regeneration cycle.
- Drain and refill hot water tank, if necessary. We recommend that you flush out your hot water tank annually.
Use caution, as water is hot!
- We recommend that you clean your faucet aerators twice annually. Aerators are the screens that screw into the end of the faucet.
Please click here for frequently asked flushing questions and answers. You can also contact our Billing Services Department at 248-858-1110 for additional information.
Fall 2017 Flushing Schedule
Flushing will begin at 7:00 P.M. and end at 7:00 A.M.
- October 2: Oakland Twp: Country Creek, Woods of Country Creek, Country Creek Commons, Village of Country Creek, The Crossings, Century Woods, Twin Lakes, Plum Creek, Knorrwood Knolls
- October 3: Oakland Twp: Country Creek, Woods of Country Creek, Country Creek Commons, Village of Country Creek, The Crossings, Century Woods, The Heights, Wyngate Club House
- October 4: Oakland Twp: Kirklands, Cloisters, Claremont, Kings-ridge, Silvercreek, Carrolton, Century Oaks, Silverbell Rd, Pinnacle, Trout Creek, Belmonte
- October 5: Oakland Twp: Goodison Place, Orchard Ridge, Wynridge, Wellington, Collins Rd, Oakland Hunt, Wynstone
- October 8: Lyon Twp: Woodwind Village, Woodwind
Glen, Woodwind Estates, S. Lyon HS, Lyon Ridge, Copperwood, Kirkway
Estates, Cambrian of Lyon, Rathmor Park, Enclaves of Lyon
- October 9: Lyon Twp: Tanglewood, Spyglass,
Sawgrass, Grenelefe, Point O'Woods, St. Andrews, Shinnecock, Country
Club Estates, 10 Mile/Griswold, Stoneleigh, Greenbrier, Riverwood
- October 10: Lyon Twp: Hornbrook, Carriage Club, Elkow Farms, Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek North, Crystal Creek Condos, Pine Hurst
- October 11: Lyon Twp: New Hudson, Pontiac
Trail, Martindale, Twin Pine Condos, Orchards of Lyon, Village Commons,
Saddle Creek, Milford Rd - Grand River to Mill River, Mill River, Spring
- October 12: Lyon Twp: New
Hudson, Grand River, Lyon Ind., Lyon Oaks, Trident, Alliant Food,
Quadrants Ind., Research Center, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Hass Road,
Cummins Inc., Henrob, Magna
- October 18: Highland Twp: Prestwick Village, Woods of Prestwick, Timber Ridge, Cobblestone, Highland Valley, Glens of Highland, Hidden Creek Pines Condos, Highland Rd
- October 19: Highland Twp: Huntwood Place, South Bay Shores, Axford Acres, Heritage Farms, Centennial Way, Presidential Way, White House Condos, Highland Place, Bretton Oaks, White Eagle
- October 19: Springfield Twp: Bluewater Bavarian, Softwater
- November 13: Oakland Twp:
Oakland Farms, Oakland Knolls, Oakland Hills, Knorrwood Pines,
Knorrwood Ridge, Oak Arbor, Deer Point, Park Hill, St. Johns Church,
Oakland Crest, Guardian Angel Cemetery, Oakland Valley, Coachlamp