Below are the most Frequently Asked Questions we get at the WRC.  For any additional questions or comments contact us at 248-858-0958. 

Emergencies: 248-624-6366 - Water & Sewer 24-Hour Emergency

What does the Oakland County Water Resources Commissioners Office do?
The Oakland County Water Resources Commissioners Office is responsible for a myriad of environmental issues. Under the authority granted by state law, the Water Resources Commissioner has control over legally established drainage systems under his jurisdiction. He also has duties and responsibilities authorized by the courts and the Oakland County Board of Commissioners. Those duties include such things as operating water and wastewater systems, managing engineering and construction projects and establishing and conducting environmental programs. Additionally, he is responsible for dealing with pollution prevention efforts, soil erosion control and enforcement, along with a wide range of educational programs for Oakland County residents of all ages.

Who is the Water Resources Commissioner?
The Water Resources Commissioner is Jim Nash. First elected by the residents of Oakland County in 2012, Commissioner Nash is in his first, four-year term. Prior to being elected Water Resources Commissioner, he was a four term Oakland County Commissioner representing Farmington Hills.

What number do I call to report water pollution?
To report water pollution, contact the WRC 24-Hour Pollution Hotline at 248-858-0931.

How do I know if I am a WRC water or sewer customer?
Your water and sewer bill will tell you that information. The WRC provides water and sewer billing services for the following communities:

Bloomfield Hills (Water & Sewer)
Bingham Farms (Water & Sewer)
Commerce Twp. (Water & Sewer)
Farmington Hills (Water & Sewer)
Franklin Village (Sewer only)
Highland Twp. (Water only)
Keego Harbor (Water & Sewer)
Oakland Twp. (Water & Sewer)
Orchard Lake (Water & Sewer)
Oxford Twp. (Water only)
Pontiac (Water & Sewer)
Royal Oak Twp. (Water & Sewer)
Springfield Twp. (Water only)
White Lake Twp. (Sewer only)
Wolverine Lake (Water & Sewer)

What number do I call to talk about my water and sewer bill?

Contact the WRC at 248-858-1110.

What is a county drain?
A county drain may be an open ditch, stream or underground pipe. It also could be a detention pond or swale that conveys storm water. These drains can be designated as county drains, but it doesn’t happen automatically. It starts with a process where a local city, village or township petitions the Water Resources Commissioner to establish a county drain. In some cases, property owners also may file petitions to establish drains under Oakland County's jurisdiction. That process is spelled out in the Michigan Drain Code, the state law that establishes the guidelines for the Water Resources Commissioner.

Are all drains in Oakland County designated as county drains?
No. There are drains in Oakland County, including roadside ditches, pipes and culverts under roads that are not county drains. Typically, these non-county drains are maintained by the Road Commission for Oakland County or by local public works departments. Some municipalities maintain and operate their own storm water and sewer lines, and have public works departments handle requests for information about those services. In some cases, drains that are not county drains, and are not along roads, might be the responsibility of individual property owners. To find out if a particular drain is part of the Oakland County system, please call 248-858-0958.

Does the Water Resources Commissioners Office maintain my neighborhood water system, including the fire hydrants?
That depends on the community where you live. The WRC maintains 22 water systems and nearly 8,500 fire hydrants across Oakland County. To find out if your neighborhood is included, call 248-858-0958.

Does the Water Resources Commissioners Office repair and maintain my roads?
No, the Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) or your local public works department repairs and maintains roads in your community. For more information you can contact the RCOC at 248-645-2000.

What is an illicit discharge?
An illicit discharge is any polluting material (non-storm water) that enters the storm drainage system.  Examples of an illicit discharge include an improper connection of a sanitary sewer to a storm drain, illegal dumping into a storm drain, or seepage into the storm water system from the sanitary sewer system or from a septic system.

What is a Lake Improvement Board?
A lake improvement board is formed to address issues involving a particular lake. The board deals with such matters as carrying out desired improvements, limiting pollution and educating homeowners. Lake improvement boards are governed by state law, specifically Public Act 451 of 1994, Part 309. The law requires that lake improvement boards consist of a representative from the WRC, an Oakland County Board of Commissioners representative, members representing the municipality (or municipalities) where the lake is located and property owners.

What is a storm drain?
Storm drains are inlets from streets or yards that connect to the storm drain system. Typically, anything that enters a storm drain flows directly to a waterway. That’s why it’s critically important to keep pollution and debris out of storm drains.

What is a watershed?
A watershed is the area of land that catches rain or snow and drains it into a marsh, river, lake or groundwater. Five major watersheds begin in Oakland County. They are the Clinton River, the Flint River, the Huron River, the Rouge River and the Shiawassee River.

What is an RTB and what does it do?
RTB stands for Retention Treatment Basin. An RTB is a large underground concrete storage tank and treatment facility used to hold combined sewage (both wastewater and storm water) when the sewage disposal system reaches its maximum capacity during wet weather. The combined sewage will either be held until there is adequate capacity in the system, or it will be treated through a settling, screening and disinfection process in the RTB before it is released. Discharges of this nature are authorized by a National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit that is issued and regulated by the State of Michigan.

Where can I find out more about my drinking water quality, if the WRC maintains my water system?
Annual water reports and other drinking water information are located on this site. Click here to view them.