Veterans' Services Frequently Asked Questions
Oakland County, MichiganVeteransVeterans' Services Frequently Asked Questions

Veterans' Services Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of the frequently asked questions that we receive here at Oakland County Veterans' Services. Specific questions about benefits are not addressed on our Web site due to the uniqueness of each claim and situation. We recommend you contact your nearest office to speak with one of our Benefits Counselors. General questions may also be asked through e-mail at


Where do I obtain an Oakland County issued Veteran Identification Card? 

The Oakland County Veterans Identification card is available from the Oakland County Clerks office located in the Oakland County Courthouse at 1200 N. Telegraph Rd., Pontiac, MI.  Click here for more information on obtaining one of these discount cards.


Are you part of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs? 

No, We are an Oakland County division of government funded by Oakland County tax dollars. Our role is to assist and act as advocates for veterans and their dependents in obtaining veterans' benefits from the federal, state and local government.

Is there a cost to utilize your services? 

No.  We do not charge a fee for our services.

Where are you located? 

We have two offices; they are located in Pontiac and Troy.

Do you take appointments?

Our service is provided on a walk-in, first come, first serve basis. Our client hours are 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m.. Please allow at least 30 minutes prior to the lunch hour or the end of the day if coming into the office close to those times. We have limited appointments available for new clients, on Wednesdays, at our Pontiac location.

What documents should I bring when I come in?

The documents needed for different types of claims vary. It is best to call and speak to a Benefits Counselor before coming in to get an idea of which documents to bring with you.

Do you provide transportation to local VA Medical Centers?

Yes.  Please see our transportation page for our van schedule.

I cannot locate my military discharge. Can you help me locate it? 

Yes. We can request your discharge from several sources. Feel free to contact us for assistance. If your discharge has been previously recorded at the Oakland County Clerk/Register of Deeds, a certified copy can be requested by following directions and completing a form. 

Are pensions available for low income veterans? 

Wartime veterans with low income who are permanently and totally disabled or are age 65 or older, may be eligible for monetary support. Contact your nearest Oakland County Veterans' Services office for more information.