5 Ways to Prevent Property Tax Foreclosure:
- If a property is your principle residence or home, make certain that you claim the "Property Tax Credit" on your income tax. The exemption lowers your property tax bill. Click here for a detailed explanation: Principal Residence Exemption.pdf and click here to print out the form to apply: PRE Affadavit.pdf
- If you did not file an income tax return, you may be eligible for a Homestead Property Tax Credit from the State of Michigan.
- If you meet the eligibility requirements, you may claim a poverty exemption.
- If you meet the eligibility requirements, you may also claim a hardship extension, granting you more time to pay your back taxes without losing your property.
- Contact the Office of Oakland County Treasurer Andy Meisner or your local treasurer immediately if you are having trouble paying your property taxes.
Make it automatic!
It is easy to set up automatic payments directly from your bank account. Click here to print out the authorization form: ACH form.pdf