5 Ways to Prevent Property Tax Foreclosure:
- If your property is your home or principle residence, make certain that you have claimed a "Principle Residence Exemption" on your income tax.
- If you did not file an income tax return, you may be eligible for a Homestead Property Tax Credit from the State of Michigan.
- If you meet the eligibility requirements, you may claim a poverty exemption.
- If you meet the eligibility requirements, you may also claim a hardship extension, granting you more time to pay your back taxes without losing your property.
- Contact the Office of Oakland County Treasurer Andy Meisner or your local treasurer immediately if you are having trouble paying your property taxes.