The Records Bureau is open Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Please come in no later than a half-hour before we close to allow enough time to assist you. We are closed on most legal holidays.
If you have a question on holiday closings, please contact us at 248-858-5011.
The OCSO Records Bureau is located on the East side of the Oakland County Jail in Pontiac, MI
1201 Telegraph Rd, Pontiac, MI
How to Obtain an Incident or Accident Report in Person?
- Please call 248-858-5011 to see if the report is available. If available, reports are usually received by our office 4-5 business days after the incident.
- If it is available, you may come into our office during business hours listed above to obtain a copy. Bring photo identification and $7 cash per report.
How do I Purchase a Copy of an Accident Report Online?
We are unable to process requests for incident or accident reports by fax. Reports must be obtained in person or by mail.
Traffic Ticket Payments/Other
How to Make a Freedom of Information (FOIA) Request
A request must be made in writing and provided to the FOIA coordinator of the public body. A FOIA coordinator may designate another individual to act on his or her behalf to accept requests for processing. The written request may be faxed, mailed or taken to the office of the public body.
A person may ask to receive a copy of a public record. There are no qualifications such as residency or age that must be met in order to make a request. However, prisoners in state, county, or federal correctional facilities are not entitled to make requests.
Not more than five business days after receiving a request, the public body must respond to a request for a public record. The public agency can notify the requestor in writing and extend the time for an additional 10 business days.
To make a FOIA Request to the Oakland County Sheriff's Office FOIA Coordinator, please print, fill out, and fax this
form to (248) 858-1012.
*As of July 1st 2015, the public may request a FOIA via this email:
FOIA Requests can also be faxed to: 248-858-1003
How to Obtain a Criminal Background Check
How to Obtain a Proof of Incarceration Letter
- Visit our office with your driver's license or state I.D. We will check to see if you've ever been arrested by our agency or incarcerated in the jail, and will provide you with a letter stating the results. There is a $5 charge for this service. If you need a more extensive search, please contact the
Michigan State Police.
You must come into the office with government issued photo identification. If you've been incarcerated on more than one occasion, please specify the date(s) you need. There is no charge for this service.
How to Obtain a Permit to Purchase a Firearm
To obtain a handgun purchase permit, you must appear in person at the Record Bureau of the Oakland County Sheriff's Office in Pontiac.
- Please bring valid, government issued photo I.D. with your current address on it when coming in to obtain a permit. If you choose to have the permit notarized at Records, there is a $5 cash notary fee this service. After obtaining the permit, you will have 30 calendar days to purchase the firearm, and 10 calendar days to submit the MSP(Michigan State Police) copy of the purchase permit to the Sheriff's Office for registration. This may be done in person or by mail. It is very important that the information on the purchase permit is accurate and legible.
How to Register an Inherited Firearm
If you are the heir to the estate, come to our office with your valid driver's license or state I.D. On your permit to purchase, simply put "heir to the estate of Jane Doe" with your signature beneath in the seller spot. If you are the not the heir, you will need to obtain a Permit to Purchase and have the heir sign as the seller before registering the firearm.
Where to Send Your Gun Registration After a Firearm is Purchased or Inherited
- If you have a CPL and live
within the Oakland County Sheriff's Office jurisdiction, OR if you obtained your Purchase Permit from us, you will mail the Michigan State Police (MSP copy) of the Gun Registration to:
Oakland County Sheriff's Office
1201 N. Telegraph
Pontiac, MI 48341
Attn: Gun Registration
- The State of Michigan law states that if an individual who lives
outside of our jurisdiction purchases a gun from an individual, FFL Dealer, Store or has a CPL (where the Pistol Sales Record form is completed), that form has to be turned in to their local police department.
- For example, if you live in Birmingham, send your gun registration form to Birmingham Police Department.
I recently moved within Michigan to another address (within Michigan).
Do I need to change the address on my Gun Registration card?
No. Your Gun Registration is valid for as long as you reside in the state. No address update is necessary.
I just moved to Michigan from another state.
How do I register my firearm(s)?
Follow previous instructions on "How to Obtain a Permit to Purchase a Firearm"
Applying for a Concealed Weapons Permit
- After completing the required training course, bring your training certificate and the
completed application to the
Clerk's Office in the Courthouse along with $105 (cash or credit card) and a passport quality photo.
You will then need to go to the Records Bureau at the Sheriff's Office with your receipt from the Clerk's Office, copy of your application and photo identification to be fingerprinted. You do not need to fill out the RI-008 fingerprint card.
Renewing a Concealed Weapons Permit
The renewal process is basically the same as applying for a new permit except the training is not required. Instead, applicants will sign a statement stating that they have completed three hours of review of the required training and one hour of range time in the last six months.
If your last renewal or application was processed after January 1, 2006 fingerprints are no longer required.
Where can I complete the required training for a Concealed Weapons Permit?
Check with local gun ranges or gun dealers for recommendations. You may also come into the Records Bureau at the Sheriff's Office to obtain a partial list of trainers.
Where can I obtain information on Michigan firearms laws?
I need to be fingerprinted for a job. Can I do that at the Sheriff's Office?
Yes. You will need to come into the Record Bureau at the Sheriff's Office with photo identification and $15 (cash only) per print card.
Please note: Some occupations require the prints for various federal or state laws.
In these cases, the fee could be up to $69.