Hunter Safety Classes are offered by the Oakland County Sheriff's Office at no charge. There are currently two available course schedules, each with two classes. Participants must attent both classes when picking a Course. Select one from the following two Course choices:
- Course 1: The first class is on October 4, 2018 at 6:00 pm until 9:30 pm. The second class will be held on October 6, 2018 at 8:00 am until 2:00 pm. It is mandatory to attend both classes.
- Course 2: The classes will be held on October 27, 2018 and October 28, 2018. The time for both classes is 8:00am until 3:00pm. It is mandatory to attend both classes.
Both courses will be held at the Patrol Services building: 1200 NORTH TELEGRAPH ROAD, BLDG.57-WEST in PONTIAC, MICHIGAN 48341.
Successful completion of either course requires the full 10 hours and a test at the end. Certification will be issued upon completing the course and passing the test.
To sign up for either course please call 248-858-7831.
Children under 12 years old should be accompanied by an adult.
*Please note: That scheduling is done on Thursdays and Fridays, if you leave a voice mail message it will be returned on one of these days in the order it was received.
All individuals born after January 1, 1960 must present their hunter safety certificate or previous hunting license to purchase a license.
Hunter Safety Tips
- Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
- Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
- Be certain of your target, and what's beyond it.
- Keep your finger outside the trigger guard and off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- All firearm hunters on any land during daylight hunting hours must wear a hat, cap, vest, jacket, rainwear, or other outer garment of Hunter Orange visible from all sides.
- All hunters, including archers, must comply during gun season.
- Camouflage Hunter Orange is legal provided 50% of the surface area is solid Hunter Orange.
(Exceptions: waterfowl, crow, and wild Turkey hunters, and bow hunters for deer during open archery season).
- Michigan requires 50% of a Camouflage Hunter Orange garment be open Hunter Orange.
- Control your emotions when hunting or shooting.
- Always let someone know where you are hunting and when you plan on returning.
Staying Safe While Hunting
Staying Safe While Hunting (Podcast)