The Oakland County Sheriff's Office is hosting a Boater's Safety Class at the Detroit Boat Show on Saturday, January 25, 2020. This class will be held at the TCF Center (formerly Cobo), Room 331, One Washington Blvd, Detroit, MI 48226. Sign-in/Registration is at 10 a.m. followed by the course from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. There is no charge for this class.
Space is limited for this class. Registration is required. Please go to
www.DetroitBoatshow.net/highlights. Once on this sight - click on Official Boaters Safety Course to register. Please bring a bag lunch, as no lunch is provided.
Each student will receive a free ticket to the Boat Show for enrolling, and will receive the State Boating Certificate upon passing a written test.
Children under the age of 10 must be accompanied by an adult.
To reserve a place in a Boater Safety Class, please call 248-858-7831.
NO charge for the Boater Safety Classes given at the Oakland County Sheriff's Office (OCSO).
**Please note that scheduling is done on Thursdays and Fridays. If you leave a voice mail message it will be returned on one the these days in the order it was received*
- Be weather wise.
- Bring extra gear you may need.
- Tell someone where you're going, who is with you, and how long you'll be away.
- Ventilate after fueling.
- Stay dry and warm.
- Anchor from bow, not stern
- Take a safe boating course.
- Be ready for trouble when a powerboat passes you in a narrow channel.
- When changing seats, stay low and near center line of a small boat.
- Always carry distress signals on board your boat.