Undersheriff Michael G. McCabe started with the Sheriff's Office in 1977 as a Road Patrol Deputy. He has experience working in every Division of the Sheriff's Office during his 41 year career with Oakland County. McCabe has been promoted through his career to the rank he holds since 2003 as Undersheriff/Chief Deputy.
In that role, he oversees the day-to-day operations of the Sheriff's Office and acting as the Sheriff's Chief of Staff and aiding in the oversight of the $156 million dollar annual budget while managing over 1400 employees. Some of his duties include: labor contracts and negotiations, all new hires, disciplines, lawsuits, Public Information Officer, and Chief Advisor to Sheriff Michael J. Bouchard.
A 1977 graduate of Michigan State University with a B.A. in Criminal Justice, Undersheriff McCabe is also a member of the following:
- National Sheriff's Association (N.S.A)
- Oakland County Association of Chiefs of Police
- Michigan Sheriff's Association (M.S.A.)
- International Association of Chiefs of Police (I.A.C.P.)
- American Correctional Association
- Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police (M.A.C.P.)
- Southeastern Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police
- Chair of Michigan High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (H.I.D.T.A.)
- Board Member of the Detroit & Southeastern Michigan Information & Intelligence Center (D.S.E.M.I.I.C.)
- Commissioner - Detroit Crime Commission
Undersheriff McCabe is currently the Chairman of the Membership and Security Committee of the Courts & Law Enforcement Management Information System (CLEMIS), a multi-county data sharing consortium recognized by the Department of Justice (D.O.J.) as the single largest and most successful law enforcement consortium in the United States.