We want to make it simple for you to order your dog license online. To ensure success, please follow the steps below in sequential order. Also, please note that Oakland County's system will NOT WORK if you are using Internet Explorer as your browser. Our web page is ONLY COMPATIABLE with Firefox, Google Chrome, or Safari. Additionally, please note: Our web page MAY NOT be compatible when using your cell phone or tablet.
These directions are also repeated on the website where dog owners may purchase their Oakland County dog license. You may visit that site by clicking this link
Let's get started! (If you are already registered on our dog license page, click I am a Returning Visitor, sign in, and skip to step #9.)
- If you are a FIRST TIME VISITOR to our dog license page, you must create an account. If you purchased a dog license online prior to 2020 OR IF YOU PURCHASED A DOG LICENSE ANYWHERE OTHER THAN THIS WEBSITE, YOU ARE CONSIDERED A FIRST TIME VISITOR and you must create an account, click on the FIRST TIME VISITOR Green Button on our web page and then follow the instructions.
- When the SIGN IN site appears, you are a first-time user, click the SIGN UP notice below the password box.
- Next, create an account by filling in the information and creating a password. Then click the Sign Up button and follow the instructions.
- SIGN IN.
- Complete Name/Phone number/Senior Citizen info.
- Complete Address information. Note: It is important that your address be entered EXACTLY and that everything is spelled correctly.
- Continue with Create Account Info.
- Confirm information by clicking on License My Pet.
- Tell us if your pet has been previously licensed by clicking one of the two options.
- If you clicked that your already have a licesne, enter the number. Start by entering the last two digits of the YEAR stamped on your license and then the serial numbers that follow. If this is the first time licensing your pet, click on that and then enter the information asked about your pet.
- Note: When asked about your pet's identification or microchip, tag or tattoo number BE SURE THAT YOUR CURSOR is over the blank space to type in the correct number being asked for.
- Upload your proof of rabies vaccination to the application. Note: Only upload JPEG files to this area. Next, complete the vaccination date and the effective length of the vaccination.
- Choose the type of license you wish to purchase 1yr. M/F or 3yr M/F or 1 yr spayed/neutered or 3 yr spayed/neutered. NOTE: The license that you selfect MUST match the rabies vaccination certificate that you uploaded. You MAY NOT ORDER a 3 year license if your rabies certificate expires prior to 2024.
- On the last page, enter your payment information. Please be sure that your cursor is over the blank space to the right of the credit card symbol.
Online Service Fee: A service fee will be charged when you purchase a dog license online. The service fee will be added to the amount for your license fee. Review the current license and online service fee structure for dog licenses. The service fee is not refundable. The ability to make payments online is offered as a courtesy only, there is no guarantee that it will be available for your use.
In Person Options: You do not have to purchase a dog license online, you may also make your payment in person at the Oakland County Animal Shelter and Pet adoption Center, your local City or Township Clerk’s Office, participating veterinarians or by mail without being charged a service fee.
Paying By Mail: If you pay by mail, you must send a copy of a valid rabies certificate, SASE, and a check or money order in the amount of the corresponding license fee to:
Oakland County Animal Shelter*
1200 N Telegraph Road
Building 42 E
Pontiac, MI 48341
*Make check payable to the same
USING YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND TELEPHONE NUMBER The Oakland County Animal Shelter and Pet Adoption Center may use your email address and/or telephone number to notify you of when your dog's license is due and special vaccination clinic events. Your email address and telephone number will not be sold to third parties but may be provided to third parties under the law. If you wish to opt out of this notification service, please contact the Animal Shelter at firstname.lastname@example.org.