Voter approval of the 2020 OCPR Millage Replacement and Increase allows us to provide a free Annual Vehicle Permit (AVP) to Oakland County resident: seniors (62+), active military, veterans, and persons with permanent disabilities. Other discounts for these groups across the park system remain the same, including discounts for non-resident seniors, active military and veterans, and persons with disabilities.
Free AVPs may be obtained in person at any OCPR location that sells AVPs. The Free AVP is not available at off-site AVP sales locations.
- A mail-order application is available here for seniors, veterans, and persons with permanent disabilities.
- Active military must obtain their free annual vehicle permit (and show their CAC card) in person, as CAC cards are not legally allowed to be photographed. AVPs shall be non-transferable and must be affixed to a vehicle windshield to be valid. Limit of one (1) free AVP per eligible person, per year.
Refunds will not be made for persons who become eligible for the Free AVP Program during the year. Individuals may obtain a Free AVP upon eligibility for the current or future year, but will not receive a refund for an AVP previously purchased.
Free AVPs are available to senior citizens living in Oakland County who are a minimum of 62 years of age at the time the pass is requested. These residents must provide valid documentation (i.e. driver's license or passport) to verify residency and age.
Eligible Oakland County residents who are current U.S. Military personnel must present proof of residency
and a U.S. Department of Defense Common Access Card (CAC)
for one of the following military personnel classifications:
- U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, and National Guard
- U.S. Military Cadets
- U.S. Active Reservists (do not need to be deployed)
Veterans of the U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, and National Guard are eligible to request a free AVP. Proof of documentation is required in one of these forms:
- A valid Michigan driver's license with Veteran designation
- An Oakland County, state, or federal Veteran ID Card (VIC) or form DD214, DD256, DD257, or NGB22. The military forms noted are clearly identified with the form number in the lower-left corner of the form.
The following individuals/groups do NOT qualify for the Active Military/Veteran Free AVP:
- Foreign military members (including those stationed in the US and have a CAC card)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration employees
- Public Health Service members
- Inactive US Reservists
- Civilian military contractors/employees.
Persons with a Permanent Disability
Free AVPs will be provided to Oakland County residents of any age that have been medically determined to have a permanent disability (does not have to be 100% disability). A permanent disability is a permanent physical, mental, or sensory impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.
Persons with permanent disabilities are requested to provide documentation of permanent disability status, which may include:
- a state-issued disability parking placard
- proof of disability income
- letter from a physician
If documentation cannot be provided, the applicant will need to fill out and sign a Free Annual Vehicle Permit Request form to provide credible assurance and receive their Free AVP. Adult guardians of a minor with a permanent disability may request the Free AVP on behalf of the individual.
Sale Locations and Hours
|Addison Oaks||Contact Station |
|Mon. - Thurs.||8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.|
|Fri. - Sun.||8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.|
|Independence Oaks||Park Office||Mon. - Fri.||8:30 a.m. -4 p.m.|
|Contact Station||Sat. - Sun.||9 a.m. - 3 p.m.|
|Lyon Oaks||Contact Station||Fri. - Sun.||10 a.m. - 3 p.m.|
|Pro Shop||Mon. - Fri.||10 a.m. - 3 p.m.|
|Orion Oaks||Contact Station||Tues., Thurs., Sun.||9 a.m. - 3 p.m.|
|Red Oaks||Nature Center||Tues. - Sat.||10 a.m. -5 p.m.|
|Sunday||Noon - 5 p.m.|
|Waterford Oaks||RPS Office||Mon. - Fri.||8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
The Free AVP will allow free vehicle entry into all OCPR day-use parks, including Addison Oaks, Groveland Oaks, Highland Oaks, Independence Oaks, Lyon Oaks, Orion Oaks, Red Oaks, and Rose Oaks County Parks.
- The AVP does not allow for free entry to facilities and programs that have a separate fee, including but not limited to waterparks, campgrounds, Holly Oaks ORV Park, golf courses, or special events and programs.
- The AVP is only valid for the Oakland County parks listed above and does not include the Joint Parks Perks pass with the Huron-Clinton Metroparks or the Recreation Passport for the Michigan State Parks. Joint Vehicle Permits with the Huron-Clinton Metroparks will remain the same price and will not be discounted as part of the Free AVP program.
Questions about the Free Annual Vehicle Permit Program?
Contact us at 248-858-0916 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org