Oakland County, Michigan/Oakland County Parks/Shop/2023-29 Free Vehicle Permit Program Guidelines

2023-29 Free Vehicle Permit Program Guidelines

Voter approval of the 2020 OCPR Millage Replacement and Increase allows OCPR to provide a free Vehicle Permit to seniors (age 62+) who are Oakland County residents as well as all active military, veterans and individuals with permanent disabilities.  Other discounts for these groups across the park system remain the same. 


Free Vehicle Permits may be obtained in person at any OCPR location that sells Annual Vehicle Permits (AVP).  The Free Vehicle Permit is not available at off-site AVP sales locations.  

  • A mail-order application is available here for Oakland County seniors (age 62+) and all veterans and individuals with permanent disabilities.  
  • Active military must obtain their free Vehicle Permit (and show their CAC card) in person, as CAC cards are not legally allowed to be photographed. Vehicle Permits shall be non-transferable and must be affixed to a vehicle windshield to be valid.  Limit of one (1) free Vehicle Permit per eligible person, per year.

Refunds will not be made for persons who become eligible for the Free Vehicle Permit Program during the year. Individuals may obtain a Free Permit upon eligibility for the current or future year, but will not receive a refund for an AVP previously purchased. 


Free Vehicle Permits are available to senior citizens living in Oakland County who are a minimum of 62 years of age at the time the pass is requested.  These residents must provide valid documentation (i.e. driver's license or passport) to verify residency and age.

Active Military

Eligible individuals who are current U.S. Military personnel must present proof of residency and a U.S. Department of Defense Common Access Card (CAC) for one of the following military personnel classifications: 
  • U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, and National Guard
  • U.S. Military Cadets
  • U.S. Active Reservists (do not need to be deployed)


Veterans of the U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, and National Guard are eligible to request a free Vehicle Permit. Proof of documentation is required in one of these forms:

  • A valid Michigan driver's license with Veteran designation 
  • An Oakland County, state or federal Veteran ID Card (VIC) or form DD214, DD256, DD257, or NGB22.  The military forms noted are clearly identified with the form number in the lower-left corner of the form.
The following individuals/groups do NOT qualify for the Active Military/Veteran Free AVP: 
  • Foreign military members (including those stationed in the US and have a CAC card)
  • National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration employees
  • Public Health Service members
  • Inactive US Reservists
  • Civilian military contractors/employees.

Individuals with a Permanent Disability

A free Vehicle Permit will be provided to individuals of any age who have been medically determined to have a permanent disability (does not have to be 100% disability). A permanent disability is a permanent physical, mental or sensory impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning and working.

Persons with permanent disabilities are requested to provide documentation of permanent disability status, which may include:

  • a state-issued disability parking placard
  • proof of disability income
  • letter from a physician

If documentation cannot be provided, the applicant will need to fill out and sign a Free Vehicle Permit Request form to provide credible assurance and receive their Free AVP.  Adult guardians of a minor with a permanent disability may request the Free Vehicle Permit on behalf of the individual. 

Sale Locations and Hours

Addison Oaks

Contact Station
(staff permitting)
Mon. - Thurs.
8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Fri. - Sun.
8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Independence OaksPark OfficeMon. - Fri.
9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Contact StationSat. - Sun.
9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Lyon OaksDog Park
Sat. - Sun.
9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Pro Shop
9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Orion Oaks

Orion Township

Orion Township
Contact Station

Treasurer's Office

Parks and Recreation
Tues., Thurs., Sun.

Mon. - Fri.

Mon - Fri.
9 a.m. - 3 p.m.

8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Red OaksNature CenterTues. - Sat.
10 a.m. -5 p.m.
Noon - 5 p.m.

Waterford Oaks
RPS Office
Mon. - Fri.
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


The Free Vehicle Permit will allow free vehicle entry into all OCPR day-use parks, including Addison Oaks, Groveland Oaks (April-October), Highland Oaks, Independence Oaks, Lyon Oaks, Orion Oaks, Red Oaks, and Rose Oaks County Parks.  

  • The Vehicle Permit does not allow for free entry to facilities and programs that have a separate fee, including but not limited to waterparks, campgrounds, Holly Oaks ORV Park, golf courses, or special events and programs.  
  • The Vehicle Permit is only valid for the Oakland County parks listed above and does not include the Joint Parks Perks pass with the Huron-Clinton Metroparks or the Recreation Passport for the Michigan State Parks. Joint Vehicle Permits with the Huron-Clinton Metroparks will remain the same price and will not be discounted as part of the Free AVP program.

Questions about the Free Vehicle Permit Program?

Contact us at 248-858-0916 or e-mail us at info@oaklandcountyparks.com