Reimbursement Division FAQ

Reimbursement Division FAQ

Answers to frequently asked questions of the Reimbursement Division for Circuit Court-Criminal Division and Inmate Board and Care.

What fees are the responsibility of the defendant/inmate to pay/repay?

Defendants who have been involved in a criminal matter with the Circuit Court may owe monies to Oakland County.

Defendants/Inmates may owe monies to Oakland County for:
  • Court-appointed attorney services
  • Court action that has been delayed
  • Completed court action that ordered costs and/or a term of probation
  • Board and care for a stay in the Oakland County Jail
Defendants are responsible for providing information concerning their finances to the Reimbursement Division. A financial interview will be conducted to determine an appropriate payment plan.

What are the most common court-ordered fees? When do I have to pay them?

The most common fees ordered by the court include attorney fees, court costs, court fines, restitution, and crime victim rights fees. The fees may be due immediately upon sentencing. Fees not immediately due may be paid over time.

Are defendants charged for services provided by court-appointed attorneys?

Defendants receiving the services of a court-appointed attorney are ordered to repay the County. Payment arrangements should be made through the Reimbursement Division.

Are inmates charged for their stay in the county jail?

Inmates of the Oakland County Jail may be charged for room and board [MCLA 801.81]. Inmates should report to the Reimbursement Division for a financial interview to determine ability to pay and make payment arrangements.

If a bond has been posted by a defendant, can they get their bond money back?

Bond monies will be retained by the County to apply toward costs associated with the case [MCR 6.1061(3)].

Am I required to pay my court-ordered costs while I'm in Work Release?

Defendants in the Work Release facility are expected to pay for their housing expenses in addition to making regular payments on their account. Payments may be made at the Work Release facility or sent by mail. Defendants are expected to increase monthly payments to the Reimbursement Division, after release from Work Release, to reduce past due balances.

Where do I pay restitution?

Reimbursement Division collects and disburses restitution due to the crime victim by the defendant. Victim issues are referred to the Probation Office or the Prosecutor's Office Victim Witness Section for assistance.

Where do I pay my probation supervision fees?

Supervision fees are ordered when a defendant is placed on probation. The Reimbursement Division does not collect these fees. Payments should be mailed to:

Michigan Department of Corrections
Supervision Fee Unit
PO Box 30770
Lansing, MI  48909

How are monthly payment plans determined if you owe money to Oakland County?

Information provided to this office is confidential and is used in determining monthly payment plans in accordance with the court order. Information needed:
  • Social Security Number
  • Driver License or State Identification
  • All sources of income and/or benefits
  • Monthly living expenses
  • Installment payments
  • Savings/checking account information
  • Verification of property ownership/value
  • Employer information and pay stubs 

Will I receive a monthly statement?

A computerized statement detailing the ordered fees and payments will be sent each month as long as the account is current. The top portion of the statement should be returned with payment. The account number must be noted on the check or money order.

What method of payment is acceptable?

In addition to personal checks and cash payments, MasterCard and Visa payments are also accepted. The cardholder must appear in person to complete the transaction. Voluntary income withholding may also be arranged.

What are the penalties for non-payment of fees?

Failure to pay court-ordered monies may result in:
  • Violation of Probation
  • Order to Show Cause action
  • Writ of Garnishment executed against earnings
  • Loss of Work Release status
  • Intercept of state tax refund 

Can Community Service be done if I can't pay? Who oversees the Community Service program?

Community service hours may be a condition of probation and/or may be worked based on an inability to pay some court-ordered fees. Credit will be given for hours worked which will reduce monies owed. The Probation Department is responsible for overseeing this program.