Village of Oxford,
The glaciers of the last Ice Age left millions of tons of granite gravel throughout Michigan. The Village of Oxford lies on top of one of these immense geological deposits. In 1908, William O. Smith set up a rock-crushing plant in this community and, by 1911, his commercial interests had merged with those of the Michigan Pressed Brick
Company (Detroit), mining 250 tons of crushed gravel a day.
By the 1920s, additional firms had set up rock-crushing operations nearby, and gravel output grew to 5 million tons per year.
Gravel provided foundations for buildings, surfacing for roads, mix for the manufacture of concrete, and so much more. While
the area’s active gravel pits and suppliers have dwindled, the Village of Oxford was once heralded as
“The Gravel Capital of the World.”