Since 1978, Michigan law has required children to be up-to-date with required immunizations ON or BEFORE the first day of school/childcare. A child who fails to meet this requirement will not be admitted to school/childcare. The following circumstances allow a required vaccine to be waived or delayed:
- A valid medical contraindication exists, preventing the child from receiving the vaccine at this time. A medical waiver should be completed and signed by the child’s physician and should state the contraindication, vaccine involved, and time period during which the child is prevented from receiving the vaccine.
- The parents/caregivers have valid religious or philosophical beliefs which prevent receipt of a vaccination. Waivers should not be taken lightly. A child who is not fully vaccinated against vaccine- preventable diseases could be a risk to others and for contracting the disease.
On December 11, 2014, the administrative rule was passed by Michigan Department of Community Health requiring any parent/guardian wanting to waive vaccine/vaccines for nonmedical reasons to receive vaccine education from their local health department. This rule applies to children entering childcare, kindergarten, and 7th grade or newly enrolled in the school district after January 1, 2015.
Oakland County Health Division (OCHD) will provide this education for Oakland County residents and/or those students attending Oakland County childcare facilities and/or schools at no cost, but appointments are required. The 30-minute education session will include information on the risks of not receiving vaccines and the benefits of vaccination to the individual and the community. This will allow parents to make an educated, informed choice for their child.
Parents/guardians deciding to immunize their child will be able to do so after the education session at the OCHD clinic or their own doctor. If the parent/guardian still wants to waive one or more vaccines, OCHD staff will provide a certified waiver. The parents will be required to provide the certified waiver to their child’s school.
You may schedule your appointment by calling 1-800-848-5533 or online by clicking the button below. Appointments are limited and scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. We look forward to working with you to keep you, your family, and your community healthy.
What you need for your appointment
- Picture ID and guardianship papers, if foster parent
- Official immunization record
- Name of school / childcare