The Oakland County Food Policy Council is working to increase consumption, accessibility, and affordability of healthy foods among county residents. The council has begun identifying organizations working within the food system and asset mapping of healthy eating resources in Oakland County. Results will support developing a food resource directory and guide the future actions of the Food Policy Council.
- Conduct a thorough assessment of the food system in Oakland County.
- Promote and develop local resources to help people access healthy foods.
- Prioritize the Community Health Improvement Plan suggested actions for implementation and expansion.
Response to COVID-19
Gleaners Community Food Bank
- Gleaners continues to serve those in need. They continue to work with partner pantries and are expanding food distribution efforts to include additional drive-up mobile sites in Oakland and surrounding counties. Community distribution sites occur weekly at multiple locations and will be added regularly to their website. Please call a pantry location call ahead of time in case an appointment or paperwork may be necessary.
- Forgotten Harvest updates its website daily with the most current list of active distribution sites receiving its food. Forgotten Harvest urges a household to check with listed agencies for any last minute changes before going to an agency distribution site.
Emergency SNAP Benefits
SNAP Monthly Updates
- There has not been a press releases from Govenor Whitmer's office about additional December or January benefits.
- Gov. Whitmer announced all Michigan families who are eligible for food assistance benefits will continute to receive at least an additional $95 in November in response to the COVID-19
pandemic and rising food costs. Emergency benefits are approved on a month-to-month basis. Eligible clients will see additional food assistance benefits on their Bridge Card from November 12-21, 2022.
- Food Bank Council of Michigan has informational flyers about the emergency allotments on their Facebook page.
Oakland County COVID-19 Resources