The Food Policy Council is working to increase consumption, accessibility, and affordability of healthy foods among county residents. The council has begun identifying organizations working within the food system and asset mapping of healthy eating resources in Oakland County. Results will support developing a food resource directory and guide the future actions of the Food Policy Council.
- Conduct a thorough assessment of the food system in Oakland County.
- Promote and develop local resources to help people access healthy foods.
- Prioritize the Community Health Improvement Plan suggested actions for implementation and expansion.
Response to COVID-19
Unanticipated School Closures Summer Food Service
Program (Meet Up & Eat Up)
- The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP), also known as Meet Up & Eat Up, helps ensure kids (18 years old & younger) still have access to healthy meals when school is closed. Families can find a location by texting FOOD to 877-877 or use this map to find a site (click here for map in Spanish). Due to COVID-19, parents and guardians are allowed to pick up meals for the child(ren) and meals or snacks are not required to be eaten on-site.
- Oakland Schools has a list of Meet Up and Eat Up sites by school district. Click on the school district website to find distribution information
Gleaners Community Food Bank
- Gleaners continues to serve those in need. They continue to work with partner pantries and are expanding food distribution efforts to include additional drive-up mobile sites in Oakland and surrounding counties. Community distribution sites occur weekly at multiple locations and will be added regularly to their website. Please call a pantry location call ahead of time in case an appointment or paperwork may be necessary.
- Forgotten Harvest updates its website daily with the most current list of active distribution sites receiving its food. Forgotten Harvest urges a household to check with listed agencies for any last minute changes before going to an agency distribution site.
Senior Market FRESH- Starting May 1, 2021
- Senior Market FRESH provides qualifying seniors with $20 coupons to purchase unprocessed, fresh, Michigan grown products from registered farmers markets and roadside stands throughout Michigan. Seniors will also receive nutrition education and information on food access and food assistance.
- For more information about Senior Market FRESH in Oakland County and how to get a coupon booklet, contact Robin Danto at 248-215-6307 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services recently announced a new program: Pandemic EBT. The Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer Program (P-EBT) program provides temporary funding to address emergency food needs for families affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- P-EBT food assistance benefits will go to Michigan families with students ages 5-18 that are eligible for free or reduced-price school meals. This includes families currently receiving Food Assistance Program benefits, as well as those not currently enrolled in the program. No application is necessary for eligible families to receive P-EBT benefits. For more information and FAQs, visit MDHHS' website on P-EBT Food Assistance Benefits for Families.
- Gov. Whitmer and MDHHS announced expanded emergency SNAP benefits on March 27, 2020. Eligible households will receive additional benefits for November to bring all households using SNAP to the maximum monthly allowance. This change only applies to those who are not receiving the maximum benefit right now. Here is the link to MDHHS press release regarding additional SNAP benefits.
- Food Bank Council of Michigan has informational flyers about the emergency allotments on their Facebook page.
Community and Faith-Based Organizations
Special Grocery Store Hours
- Here is alist of stores that have special hours reserved for high-risk groups.
**This is an evolving situation. Information/resources will be updated as available on the OC Health Division website. Our Nurse on Call is also available at 800-848-5533, Monday through Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm, or email@example.com.**