Help! I think I have a mold problem in my home or workplace!

Oakland County Health Division does not regulate or investigate mold problems in residential buildings or workplaces. In fact, there are no nationally recognized standards for acceptable levels of mold in indoor environments. Oakland County Health Division can however, provide you with some basic mold information. Another resource is the Oakland County Community and Home Improvement Division's Housing Counseling unit, which delivers free comprehensive housing counseling services to Oakland County residents.

What do I do if I suspect I have mold in my home?

If you are a homeowner and you think you have a mold problem, remember that mold growth results when there is excess moisture in the air or when materials have been water damaged. Mold testing may be unnecessary and inconclusive. Efforts should be focused on eliminating or removing the source of moisture, followed by removal of the mold or water damaged materials. For procedures and precautions to follow when removing mold, please refer to the documents referenced below.

I am a renter. What can I do if I suspect I have mold in my home?

If you are a tenant and you think you have a mold problem, you should try to determine who is responsible for removing the mold by reviewing your lease agreement and contacting your landlord. Your local city, village, or township building or code enforcement department might also be able to provide assistance; especially if the mold growth is a result of water damage in your rental unit.

What can I do if I suspect I have mold in my workplace?

If you think you have a mold problem in your workplace, you should talk to your employer or view the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration web page or contact them at 800-866-4674.

Where can I get additional information on mold?

Please refer to the links below for more helpful information on the health effects of mold, types of mold, and testing and removal of mold. If you still need further guidance, you may call Oakland County Health Division at 248-424-7190 during regular business hours.

Additional Info