Facilities Maintenance & Operations
The Facilities Maintenance and Operations (FM&O) Division is responsible for energy management, building maintenance, building alterations, facility security, operations, utilities, custodial services, and grounds maintenance. FM&O oversees 46 County facilities with 1.9 million square feet of space on 600 acres of grounds, 60 acres of parking lots, and over 30 miles of utility lines and heating service tunnels. Support services are provided to approximately 95 departments, divisions, and units operating in the County’s facilities, and contracted services are provided to Parks & Recreation, the Road Commission, the Airport, and other agencies.
- Provide staff training and ensure compliance with the numerous building codes, insurance requirements, Employee Right-To-Know laws, the Michigan Occupation Health and Safety Act, hazardous materials storage and disposal laws, medical waste disposal regulations, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) requirements, Indoor Clean Air Act, asbestos awareness, building control technology, and other legislation impacting facilities and grounds.
- Provide, in a cost effective and quality manner, a safe and comfortable environment for the efficient operation of business for both County employees and the public they serve.
- Evaluate and improve the cost effectiveness of operations through benchmarking with similar public and private sector organizations.
- Continuously improve support service responsiveness.
- Continual evaluation of leveraging private sector services and expertise consistent with the above goals.