Michigan’s International Business Address
Oakland County is home to more than 1,040 foreign-owned firms from 40 countries
An Export Hub to North America
Locating in Oakland County gives companies access to not only the U.S. market but also to Canada and Mexico
Oakland County’s top foreign-owned OEM suppliers come from:
- United Kingdom
- South Korea
- Educated Residents - More than 50% of Oakland County residents have an Associate’s Degree or higher
- Technical Talent - Michigan is #1 in the concentration of engineers — some 89,000
Research and Development Hub
- With more than $12 billion spent, Michigan ranks fourth in U.S. for private spending on R&D
- With more than 3,800 patents awarded annually, the region has the first U.S. Patent Office outside of Washington D.C.
- With more than 20,000 workers employed as industrial and commercial designers or industrial engineers, the region has the highest concentration of both occupations in the U.S.
- More than 70% of Michigan’s OEM parts suppliers are based in Oakland County
SOURCES: U.S. Census Bureau, 2014 ACS, five-year estimate; U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, Realcomp II, Ltd.; Southeast Michigan Council of Governments; U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics; and ESRI.