Information on this page is based on CDC's guidance last updated Aug. 11, 2022. For the latest guidance and additional information, please visit CDC's Guidance for K-12 Schools and Childcare page.
OCHD also offers guidance specific to K-12 schools, along with answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ) for both K-12 schools and childcare and preschools, that can be found here.
Responding to COVID-19 in Childcares and Preschools
When someone tests positive for COVID-19:
- People who test positive for COVID-19 should isolate for at least 5 days
- Refer to CDC regarding when to end isolation and recommendations for mask wearing
When children or staff members are exposed to COVID-19:
- Exposed individuals do not need to stay home but should monitor closely for symptoms
- If any symptoms develop, isolate and test
- If no symptoms develop test on or after day 5 following exposure
- Wear masks for 10 days following exposure (age 2 and older)
- If mask wearing not possible (under age 2), implement other layered strategies such as:
If there is an outbreak in the facility (CDC Recommendations):
- Universal masking
- Increasing ventilation
- Screening testing (ask everyone to test regardless of symptoms)
- Suspending high-risk activities (e.g. indoor physical activity or music instrument/choir activities)
- Contact OCHD CD unit with questions or for additional guidance; 248-858-1286 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If your childcare center is facing a difficult COVID-19 response decision or if you have questions about our guidance, please don't hesitate to contact our epidemiology team for a consultation: 248-858-1286 or email@example.com.
Reporting cases to OCHD
- Contact Oakland County Communicable Disease Unit at 248-858-1286 or firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions
- Send email to email@example.com with subject line: Childcare COVID19 Case
- Include the following information:
- Child/Staff member name
- Date of Birth
- Parent Name
- Parent phone number
- Onset/Test date:
- You do not need to report cases among parents/household members of children
- Contact Oakland County Communicable Disease Unit at 248-959-1286 or firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions
*Please note that close contacts no longer need to be reported. Please follow MDHHS and LARA guidelines regarding information for families about COVID19 cases in the building/classroom.