To be prepared to apply with all of your documentation when you begin your application, please see the Qualifications Overview and the Applicant Document Checklist below. These will help guide you. The FAQs may also be helpful to answer questions as you move through the process. Missing documentation will delay processing the application which can take between 45-60 days on average.
- Must be an Oakland County resident.
- Have a household income less than 80% of the area median income, as defined by HUD (see above)
- COVID-19 related hardship beginning March 10, 2020 or later such as inability to pay due to temporary job loss, reduced work hours, or other income hardship
- The household has not received assistance from any other source for the same activity and time period as requested through this program
- Your landlord or property manager or mortgage company must agree to participate in the program. (No payments will be made directly to the applicant.)
- This program provides a one-time grant for eligible households and covers the following areas:
- Rent payment (includes land contract payments, mobile home lot rent, late fees, court costs).
- Mortgage payment and/or association fees
- Utility payment (gas, electric, water and sewer).
- Household liquid assets (e.g., savings, checking, cash) are limited to $15,000
- Households must be
able to sustain future housing payments with housing costs not exceeding 50%
household gross income (with a few exceptions)
Applicant Document Checklist
Information shall be kept confidential and used only to determine eligibility. A complete application includes scanned copies (preferably PDF) of the following. Paper copies of the application will also be available and will require a clear photocopy of the following.
Please be aware that applications must include uploads or copies of all pages of bank statements, mortgage paperwork, bills, lease agreements, etc. There must be no redacting or "blacking out" of information on the required documentation.
We cannot begin to review your application until all documentation is received.
- State of Michigan Photo ID (must match the address on the lease/mortgage)
- NOTE: If you need to update your address, make your appointment now or change your address online at the
Michigan Secretary of State portal.
- Active Lease Agreement, including an agreement to rent month-to-month if expired
- NOTE: This must be a complete lease including signature page
- Notice to Quit or other written documentation of amount of rent owed
- Most recent mortgage statement
- Most recent utility bills
- Most recent Bank Statements
- NOTE: This should include all accounts for each member of the household 18 years of age or older
- Verification of all sources of Income. Examples include:
- NOTE: Must have the following for each member of the household 18 years of age or older
- Pay Stubs (1 month)
- Unemployment Award Letter
- Social Security, Disability or Social Security Income Award Letter
- Verification of Pension
- Verification of Child Support/Alimony
- Veteran’s Benefit
- Worker’s Compensation Statement
- Self-employment – Year to date Profit/Loss and last two years income tax