Once the complete application is reviewed, the applicant will be notified regarding the approval or denial. The County will issue payment to the rental owner or mortgage company directly. NOTE: Please make sure you complete the Third-Party Authorization Form.
Referrals to other programs offering financial assistance for rent, mortgage and utilities will be recommended if an applicant is not eligible for this program. Resources to meet additional housing needs and no cost housing counseling services may be provided.
Rental Assistance Flyer
- Must be an Oakland County resident.
- Have a household income less than 80% of the area median income, as defined by HUD
- Inability to pay due to a temporary job loss, reduced work hours or other income hardship caused by COVID-19 pandemic, beginning March 10, 2020 or later
- The household has not received assistance from any other source for the same activity and time period as requested through this program
- Your landlord or property manager or mortgage company must agree to participate in the program. (No payments will be made directly to the applicant.)
- This program provides a one-time grant for eligible households and covers the following areas:
- Rent payment (includes land contract payments, mobile home lot rent, late fees, court costs).
- Mortgage payment and/or association fees
- Utility payment (gas, electric, water and sewer). Note: Residents of communities participating in the Water Residential Assistance Program (WRAP) must apply to WRAP for water assistance.
- Household liquid assets (e.g., savings, checking, cash) are limited to $10,000
Applicant Document Checklist
The information provided shall be kept confidential and used only for the purpose of determining eligibility for financial assistance. Components of a complete application process include:
- Completed Application
- Third-Party Authorization and Waiver of Confidentiality
- State of Michigan Photo ID (must match the address on the lease/mortgage)
- Active Lease Agreement, including an agreement to rent month-to-month if expired
- Notice to Quit or other written documentation of amount of rent owed
- Most recent mortgage statement
- Most recent utility bills
- Most recent Bank Statements
- Verification of all sources of Income. Examples include:
- Pay Stubs (1 month)
- Unemployment Award Letter
- Social Security, Disability or Social Security Income Award Letter
- Verification of Pension
- Verification of Child Support/Alimony
- Veteran’s Benefit
- Worker’s Compensation Statement
- Self-employment – Year to date Profit/Loss and last two years income tax