Oakland County and United Way for Southeastern Michigan are pleased to announce the Oakland Together COVID Relief Individual Microgrant Initiative. Eligible residents in Oakland County can apply for a $500 microgrant to cover necessary expenses or gaps in income resulting from the economic repercussions of COVID-19.
Oakland County and United Way for Southeastern Michigan are committed to ensuring that our region’s most vulnerable families have the support they need to weather the short- and long-term impacts of the coronavirus outbreak. When faced with a gap in income, families already structurally underemployed or living paycheck to paycheck face impossible choices between keeping up with rent and essential utilities and keeping food on the table.
The Oakland Together COVID Relief Individual Microgrant Initiative will provide flexible microgrants that families can use to pay for whatever expenses are most urgent for them – like paying for rent and utilities, keeping food on the table, catching up on overdue bills or buying a basic laptop so their children can attend school virtually. This initiative will provide nearly $2 million in direct funding support to Oakland County residents struggling to make ends meet as the pandemic and its economic impacts continue.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
- Be a resident of Oakland County.
- Be age 18 or older.
- Have household income of $70,000 or lower in normal years (pre-COVID).
- Submit one application per household.
Applicants must be experiencing a financial hardship brought on by COVID-19 or the economic impacts of COVID-19. Applicants meet one of the following criteria:
- Disruption of income (lost or reduced income for a period of time, e.g., due to job loss, layoff, furlough or unpaid leave of absence)
- Ongoing reduced income (e.g, due to reduced hours, partial furlough or reduced tips/commissions)
- Loss or lack of income (no or minimal current income, e.g., due to job loss, layoff, furlough, unpaid leave of absence or inability to find a new job)
- Increased expenses
- An emergency need or inability to meet a basic need
How to Apply
Applicants must apply online through the application portal provided by our partner Family Independence Initiatives. Applicants will need to provide the following information:
- Verification of identity and residency in Oakland County.
- Information describing the applicant’s financial situation and need.
- Documentation demonstrating that the applicant meets the eligibility criteria.
- Attestation from the applicant as to the planned use of funds.
Can multiple individuals within the same residence apply for an emergency grant?
Generally, no. Microgrants are limited to one per household. For special circumstances (e.g. individuals living in a homeless shelter or other congregate housing), please contact
Can I use this funding to pay for back bills?
Yes. Microgrants are flexible and can be used to cover necessary expenses or catch up on unpaid bills.
Can I provide another individual’s bank account information to receive my microgrant?
No. If the applicant does not have or does not wish to use a bank or prepaid card account, there is an option to receive funds via physical or digital gift card.
Have additional questions? Email