Until the COVID-19 vaccines are widely available, the best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus. The simple everyday actions you can take to help prevent the spread of flu and other illnesses can help prevent the spread of coronaviruses. Here's how:
Stay home. Save lives. Slow the spread of COVID-19.
Wash Your Hands
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands. Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for 20 seconds, and help young children do the same. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
Hand Washing Steps
Cover Your Cough/Sneeze
Covering your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, or cough/sneeze in your upper sleeve. Immediately throw away used tissues in the trash, then wash hands.
Stop the Spread of Germs
Cover Your Cough (Spanish,
Keep Surfaces and Utensils Clean
Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces, such as toys and doorknobs. Avoid close contact, sharing cups, or sharing eating utensils.
Cleaning & Disinfecting Hard Surfaces
Practice Good, Healthy Habits
Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.
Be Prepared with the Following Supplies:
- Maintain a two-week supply of water and food at home
- Routinely check your regular prescription drugs to ensure that you won’t run out
- Keep non-prescription drugs and other health supplies on hand
- Get copies and maintain electronic versions of health records
- Talk with family members about how they would be cared for if they got sick and what would be needed to care for them in your home