Conservatorships for Minors

A conservator is a person who is given the authority by Probate Court to be responsible for the assets (called an estate) of a Protected Individual (PI). A conservator is nominated by a petition filed with the Probate Court. Anyone interested in the estate, affairs or welfare of the alleged PI may petition. The alleged PI must be a resident of Oakland County.

For complete info, please refer to the following brochures:

Additional information available below:

 Below are the forms that must be completed to start a minor conservatorship proceeding in Oakland County Probate Court. When the required forms are completed, bring or mail them to Oakland County Probate Court.

Please arrive by 4pm for same day processing.


Forms to start a minor conservatorship may be hand-delivered or mailed to Oakland County Probate Court provided they contain all signatures and include the appropriate filing fee(s).

  • The filing fee to start each conservatorship is $175.00.
  • Cash, check (made out to Oakland County Probate Court) or credit card.
  • Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover accepted.
  • Service fees for copies and certifications apply for credit cards only.
  • Please do not mail cash.

Forms to Start a Minor Conservatorship

The following forms must be completed:

The following forms may be required:

It is most common for parents to file for conservatorship of their minor children. 

1)  If there are two legal parents, these are the most common scenarios:

  • One parent petitions. The other parents signs a Wavier and Consent. A hearing will not be required unless the judge requires one.
  • Both parents petition. A hearing will not be required unless the judge requires one.
  • One parent petitions. The other parent is served with the Petition and Notice of Hearing and a hearing is set. 

2)  If there is one legal parent, that parent may petition and there would be no hearing.
3)  If someone other than the parent petitions, the parent(s) would have to be notified of the hearing.  If both parents sign a Waiver and Consent, a hearing may be avoided.

Forms Needed Once the Minor Conservatorship is Granted

Forms that Might be Needed During the Pendency of a Minor Conservatorship

Forms to Modify or Close a Minor Conservatorship