Conservatorships: Minors

Conservatorships: Minors

A conservator is a person who is given the authority by Probate Court to be responsible for the assets (called an "estate") of a Protected Individual (PI).  A conservator is nominated by a petition filed with the Probate Court.  Anyone interested in the estate, affairs or welfare of the alleged PI may petition.  The alleged PI must be a resident of Oakland County.

For complete info, please refer to the following Brochures:
Additional information available below: Below are the forms that must be completed to start a minor conservatorship proceedings in Oakland County Probate Court.  These forms are insertable pdf documents that may be completed in Adobe or may be printed, then completed.

Some of these forms (primarily those with a form number beginning PEMH)  reside on the Oakland County Probate Court's web site and the file size will be listed.  Other forms (most documents having form numbers beginning with "PC") are linked directly to the form on the State Court Administrative Office web site.

When the required forms are completed, bring or mail them to:
     Oakland County Probate Court
     First Floor-East Wing
     Oakland County Courthouse
     1200 N. Telegraph Road
     Pontiac, MI  48341-0457

Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  Please arrive by 4:00 for same day processing. Maps & Directions to the Courthouse

Forms to start a minor conservatorship may be mailed to the above address provided they contain all signatures and include the appropriate filing fee(s).  The filing fee to start each conservatorship is $175.00 cash, check (made out to Oakland County Probate Court) or credit card.  Service fees for copies and certifications apply for credit cards only.  Please do not mail cash.

Forms to Start a Minor Conservatorship
The following forms must be completed:
The following forms may be required:
It is most common for parents to file for conservatorship of their minor children. 

1)  If there are two legal parents, these are the most common scenarios:
  • One parent petitions.  The other parents signs a Wavier and Consent. (A hearing will not be required unless the judge requires one.)
  • Both parents petition. (A hearing will not be required unless the judge requires one.)
  • One parent petitions.  The other parent is served with the Petition and Notice of Hearing and a hearing is set. 
2)  If there is one legal parent, that parent may petition and there would be no hearing. 

3)  If someone other than the parent petitions, the parent(s) would have to be notified of the hearing.  If both parents sign a Waiver and Consent, a hearing may be avoided.

Forms that you Will Need Once the Minor Conservatorship is Granted
Forms that might be needed during the pendency of a Minor Conservatorship
Forms to Modify or Close a Minor Conservatorship