Small Claims

​If you feel an individual or a business owes you money, you can bring a lawsuit against that person or business in the Small Claims division of the District Court. 

You can file a lawsuit in small claims court for up to $6,500.00.  If your claim is more than $6,500.00 and you still elect to file in small claims court, you waive your right to collect more than that amount. 

If you file a lawsuit to recover for damage to your motor vehicle arising out of an automobile accident if the other driver is at fault, you are limited to that amount not otherwise covered by your insurance up to $3,000.00 if the defendant had insurance at the time of the accident. 

When you file in small claims court, you give up or waive the following rights:

  • The right to be represented by an attorney
  • The right to have a jury trial
  • The right to appeal the final decision of the court (unless the case is heard by an attorney/magistrate)

 Collecting your Money in a Small Claims Suit

​If you are successful in obtaining a judgment in a small claims suit, you are not assured collection. You have the responsibility of pursuing the matter. Customary methods of collection are:

 Collection FAQ

​If you obtain a judgment, you may not be assured that you will be paid. You may have to pursue collection remedies. Please see below:

Showcause Hearing: If the defendant does not pay the judgment, begin to pay the judgment  or complete the "affidavit of judgment debtor" form that is mailed to the  defendant with the judgment within 21 days of the date of the judgment, the plaintiff may submit a request in writing to the court requesting that a show cause hearing be scheduled.

 Small Claims FAQ