52-4 Criminal Division Frequently Asked Questions
Oakland County, MichiganCourts52nd District Court Division 452-4 Criminal Division Frequently Asked Questions

52-4 Criminal Division Frequently Asked Questions

What are the Court's hours?

We are open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. 

Walk in Arraignment service is available from 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

If I have a public defender, is this service free?

No. Visit our Court Appointed Attorney page to find out more on fees associated with these services.

If I received a misdemeanor ticket what do I do?

If the ticket is not listed as a payable offense, you must appear in court during walk-in/arraignment hours on or before the scheduled date on your ticket.

When and how are arraignments conducted?

Arraignments are conducted on a walk-in basis between the hours 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.

How do I change a court date?

You will have to call the criminal division for this answer.

What happens when I miss a court date?

If you have a misdemeanor offense the judge will issue a warrant for your arrest. The amount of bond will be determined by the judge. To have this warrant lifted you will have to come into the court to be arraigned. You need to be prepared to post a cash bond otherwise you will be taken into custody.

My son, daughter, boyfriend, husband, wife, etc. has been taken into custody. How can I find out when he/she will be arraigned (informed of charges) at the court?

The arresting agency is responsible for bringing defendants to the court to be arraigned. The court has no prior knowledge of when a defendant will be brought over. If you would like to be present for the arraignment you are free to wait in the hallway until the defendant is brought in. If you have further questions, please contact the arresting police department.

When can I get my bond back?

Bond is not returned until after sentencing, the case is dismissed or the probation violation hearing is over.

I received an order for fingerprints, what do I do?

As long as you have already been fingerprinted for the current incident, you may disregard this order. The exception to this would be if you are contacted by an officer to return to be re-printed.

If you have not yet been fingerprinted, follow the instructions on the order.

I missed my PSI or Substance Abuse Evaluation. What do I do now?

You will still come in to your sentencing and the judge will instruct you on what to do next.

How do I get a court appointed attorney and how much will one cost me?

Visit our Court Appointed Attorney's page.

How much money should I bring to my court date?

The judge assesses fees at time of sentencing. Fines and costs can be paid by cash, check, money order or credit card.  Please be advised that restitution must be paid in cash.