52-2 Frequently Asked Questions

52-2 Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of the general Frequently Asked Questions that we receive at the 52-2 District Court. For Frequently Asked Questions related to specific subjects, select one of the following links:

What tickets can I pay online?

  • You may  pay tickets online if you wish to admit responsibility without an explanation.
  • If your ticket is in default, you may not use this service.
  • If you wish to deny responsibility, please see statement regarding informal hearing request in the Traffic section.

What is a waivable ticket?

There are only three offenses by law which are waivable; no proof of insurance is NOT a waivable offense. For more information, visit the Waivable Violations page.

What is an Informal Hearing?

An Informal Hearing consists of the Magistrate, the respondent, and the police officer who issued the ticket. Attorneys are not allowed to participate in an Informal Hearing.

Both individuals are placed under oath and the Magistrate listens to the testimony. The burden of proving the defendant responsible is on the police officer, who is also called the Plaintiff.

The Plaintiff must prove by a preponderance of the evidence, or that it is more likely than not, that the respondent is responsible for the alleged traffic violation. The respondent is also entitled to testify, including having witnesses testify on his/her behalf. 

At the conclusion of the hearing, the Magistrate will make a determination of responsible or not responsible.  If either party is not satisfied with the outcome, the case may be appealed within seven days of the Informal Hearing to a Formal Hearing, which will then be sent to the Criminal Division and held before a District Judge. If the decision is appealed by the Respondent, a cash bond must be posted in the amount of the fine. A notice of the Formal Hearing will be mailed to the respondent within approximately two months. 

For more information, visit the Informal Hearing: FAQs page.

What is a Formal Hearing?

A Formal Hearing is held before a District Court Judge. At the Formal Hearing, the respondent may be represented by an attorney, and the Prosecutor will represent the Plaintiff's case.

What happens if you do not respond to a ticket within 14 days?

If a denial of responsibility is not made within 14 days of the issuance of the ticket, or if the respondent fails to appear for a scheduled hearing, a Default Judgment is entered. Once a Default Judgment is entered, a $35 Default fee is added to the price of the ticket. Within 14 days of being notified of the Default Judgment, the Respondent must either pay the fine plus the $35 Default fee or file a motion to set aside the Default Judgment. For more information, please visit the Defaulted Tickets page.

How do you file a Motion to Set Aside a Default Judgment?

You must fill out theMotion to Set Aside Default Judgment and Order form with your explanation of why you feel you should be allowed to set aside the default. A cash bond must be posted in the amount of the ticket, together with the form, within 14 days of being notified of the default. 

If the Magistrate grants the motion, an Informal Hearing will be scheduled and you will be sent a notice of the Informal Hearing within approximately two months. If the Magistrate denies the motion, the default will stand and the bond that you have posted will be applied to the ticket and the matter will be closed.