Steps for Filing a General Civil Suit

Steps for Filing a General Civil Suit

  • Be sure that you have brought your claim against the proper party and know the parties correct address

  • Be sure that you are starting your case in the correct District Court (venue)

  • Prepare a carbon pack "summons and complaint" - 2 part form (MC 01 8/18 and MC 01a 3/85) or 4 copies of each form - forms can be obtained at any District Court or from our General Civil Forms Section.

  • Pay a filing fee (the filing fee can be paid by check, money order, or cash) (checks should be made payable to the 52/1 District Court)

  • Decide how you would like the defendant served (sheriff, deputy sheriff, bailiff, appointed court officer, attorney for a party, legally competent adult who is not a party or an officer of a corporate party or by certified mail)