The Michigan Legislature's "Clean Slate" initiative expands the opportunity to set aside a criminal conviction. Some of the most significant changes are listed below.
- Expanded number of misdemeanor and felony convictions eligible, effective April 11, 2021.
- Changes in the required time period after conviction to apply.
- Multiple offenses from the same incident or 24 hour time period may be treated as one offense for purpose of set aside.
- Expands offense types eligible to be set aside.
- Automatic set aside of certain qualifying offenses after 7 years (misdemeanor) or 10 years (felony), effective April 2023.
- Juvenile records are nonpublic effective in March 2021. PA0362
- Juvenile records will also qualify for automatic set aside aside beginning in 2023.
- Juvenile Set Aside
Frequently Asked Questions
If you believe you may qualify for the set aside of a prior conviction with the Circuit Court please find additional linked information below to assist you in your application or email the Oakland County Workforce Development Clean Slate Program at firstname.lastname@example.org. To order case document copies visit
Court Explorer. If your case is marked with a Y in the Archive column of
Court Explorer you may email CourtExplorer@oakgov.com
to request access to order online. Please allow 2 business days for the request to be processed.