The Michigan Legislature's "Clean Slate" initiative expands the opportunity to set aside a criminal conviction. Some of the most significant changes are listed below.
- Expanded number of misdemeanor and felony convictions eligible, effective April 11, 2021.
- Changes in the required time period after conviction to apply.
- Multiple offenses from the same incident or 24 hour time period may be treated as one offense for purpose of set aside.
- Expands offense types eligible to be set aside.
- Automatic set aside of certain qualifying offenses after 7 years (misdemeanor) or 10 years (felony), effective April 2023.
- Juvenile records are nonpublic effective in March 2021. PA0362
- Juvenile records will also qualify for automatic set aside aside beginning in 2023.
- Juvenile Set Aside
Frequently Asked Questions
If you believe you may qualify for the set aside of a prior conviction with the Circuit Court please find additional linked information below to assist you in your application. To order case document copies visit
Court Explorer. If your case is marked with a Y in the Archive column of
Court Explorer you may email CourtExplorer@oakgov.com to request access to order online. Please allow 2 business days for the request to be processed.