- Appointed to the Oakland County Circuit Court in January 2007, becoming the first African American male to serve as a permanent member of the circuit bench
- Selected as Drug Court Judge for the Oakland County Circuit Court, 1998 and 2000
- Graduate of the University of Detroit Law School (Juris Doctor Degree) and Oakland University (Bachelor of Arts Degree)
- Elected to the Oakland County 50th District Court, 1988; re-elected in 1994, 2000, and 2006; served as Chief Judge of the 50th District Court for eight years
- Initiated, in conjunction with Pontiac Central High School, a conflict/resolution program for students in an effort to address and resolve potential conflicts, and a co-op program to earn work experience in the court and earn high school credit. Took his court to the high school, junior high school, and Oakland Community College.
- Member (past and present): Michigan Bar Association, American Bar Association, National Bar Association, Michigan District Judges Association, Oakland District Judges Association, D. Augusta Straker Bar, Wolverine Bar Association; Member, American Judges Association Board of Governors; President Elect, Association of Black Judges of Michigan
- President, Michigan District Judges Association, 2001; Co-Chairman, Michigan Association of Leadership Development 80,000, 2002 committee; Past Board Member, NAACP and Urban League; past Board of Director, Oakland County Bar Association
- Recipient: Pontiac Urban League Ronald H. Brown Excellence in Leadership Award, Northern Oakland County NAACP Community Treasurer’s Award, Oakland Community College’s first Spirit of the Community Award, Minority Women’s Network Judge of the Year, Oakland County Bar Association’s Leon H. Hubbard Award, Oakland County Democratic Commissioner’s Alex Perinoff Award, Elected Official of the Year 1997, Pontiac Central High School Distinguished Alumni Award, Coach of the Year award Rulers championship baseball team
- Judge Bowman has lived in Oakland County his entire life. He is married and has three sons.
In order to serve the attorneys and litigants appearing in Judge
Leo Bowman's courtroom, we have adopted the following guidelines.
Please advise your clients and staff so that there are no
misunderstandings. You can obtain a copy of the Protocol by clicking the highlighted link.