Pretrial - Sentenced - Felony - Misdemeanor
The Step Forward program is designed for offenders who are deemed to be at high risk for reoffending. It offers an extensive array of services for offenders aimed at addressing criminogenic needs. Criminogenic needs are factors that research has shown to be associated with recidivism. The client’s criminogenic needs are identified through the COMPAS, and the offender is placed in groups which address those specific needs. In addition, case managers use 'The Carey Guide' exercises with offenders to reinforce skills learned during groups. The program offers several groups during both day and evening hours in order to accommodate a variety of schedules. The program is open Monday through Friday and has two locations serving northern and southern Oakland County.
The program provides the following groups/services:
- Case management services
- Women in crisis groups
- Dual diagnosis treatment
- Young male offenders group
- Substance abuse groups (Stages of Change I & II)
- Domestic violence groups (Heal for males and Weave for females)
- Anger management
- Employment assessment and services (Career Connection)
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (Thinking Matters)
- Experiential learning groups
- OWI III specific (REDI)
Prior to entry in the program, offenders must be seen by the Step Forward Intake and Assessment Unit. A standardized screening and assessment tool, COMPAS in conjunction with a personal interview will determine final eligibility.
- Offenders charged with or convicted of a misdemeanor or felony offense. Prior to program enrollment, offenders must be screened by the Step Forward Intake and Assessment Unit. Offenders must score medium or high on the risk of violence or the risk of recidivism scale on the COMPAS.
- Offenders convicted of OWI III or Domestic Violence III are eligible regardless of their COMPAS scores.
- Offenders sentenced for a Probation Violation are eligible regardless of COMPAS score.
- A $25 fee for clients, eligible for Step Forward services, is due at the Step Forward Intake appointment.
- Clients enrolled in Domestic Violence are required to pay a $25 per session.
- Clients enrolled in Anger Management only (and not receiving other Step Forward services) are required to pay a $25 enrollment fee.
- Payments made at either of our locations (Pontiac or Troy) must be made with a money order payable to OCCCD or Pay Online* (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express). We do not accept cash or checks.
*Online payments are subject to an Enhanced Access Fee.