Frequently Asked Questions: Vital Records
Oakland County, MichiganClerk/Register of DeedsVital RecordsFrequently Asked Questions: Vital Records

Frequently Asked Questions: Vital Records

What is the process for obtaining a marriage license? 

For more application information, visit the Apply for a Marriage License page.

How do I obtain a copy of a vital record?

For information on obtaining certified copies, visit the Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates page. Be sure to read all the requirements when requesting these documents as they are very specific.

What vital records may I obtain from this office?

You may obtain certified copies of birth, death and marriage certificates. You may also register an assumed name or co-partnership, apply for notary certification and apply for a concealed pistol license.

Can I conduct a request online if I don't know the actual date of birth, marriage and/or death?

If you do not know the actual date of the event for the certificate you are looking for, please use the Genealogy Search, once you have located the record you may order it. For birth records only, you must have the date of birth.

How long does it take to get a Concealed Weapons Permit issued?

Approximate processing time is 6 weeks and the permit will be mailed to you.

My CPL was lost or stolen, what do I do?

Bring your photo identification to have a duplicate license issued immediately. The fee is $10.00 for the replacement CPL payable by cash, MasterCard, Visa or Discover.