NOTE: After you apply online and receive a confirmation number you MUST APPEAR within two weeks at the Oakland County Clerk's Office to complete the application process.
Concealed Pistol License (CPL) applications are available from the Oakland County Clerk's Office. You may apply in person or online but will still need to appear in person to complete the process. You must apply in the county that you reside in. Complete laws and application information are also available through the Michigan State Police.
(or your most recent license expired before July 1, 2004) must complete a Pistol Safety Training course:
- Effective October 1, 2004, the Pistol Safety Training certificate must state "This course complies with Section 5j of 1927 PA 372" and "the individual has successfully completed the course".
- The Pistol Safety Training certificate must also contain the printed name and signature of the course instructor.
Renewal applicants must certify (in section II of the application) that he/she has completed at least three hours of course review and at least one hour of firing range time within the last six months.
All Concealed Pistol Licenses will expire on the date of birth of the applicant. They are issued for a period of no more than 5 years and no less than 4 years, dependent on the applicants issue date and date of birth. Please contact us if you have any questions.
CPL applicants may not be required to meet with the Concealed Weapons Board unless requested by the board. The Concealed Weapons Board meets every Tuesday. All applicants, upon approval, will receive their CPL cards in the mail in approximately 8 weeks.
HOW TO APPLY
- Online - once you've completed the application online, be sure to receive a confirmation number. You must then appear at the Oakland County Clerk's Office within two weeks or you will need to fill out a new application.
- In person - print out and complete theConcealed Pistol License application and bring your application to the Oakland County Clerk's Office.
appear in person at the Oakland County Clerk's Office (even if you applied online) along with:
- Pistol Safety Training certificate (for new applicants)
- Certification of course review and firing range time (for renewal applicants which is included in section II of the application)
- $105.00 (new or renewal permits are the same fee) payable in cash, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, money order or personal check
- Passport-quality photograph (may be obtained while at the Clerk's Office for a $10.00 fee)
Once your application has been paid for and processed at the Clerk's Office, new
applicants will proceed to the Oakland County Sheriff Main Jail - Records Bureau for fingerprinting. Fingerprinting
is available Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Renewal applicants are not required to be fingerprinted.
Please note: our busiest hours are between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.