Eligibility for Recording
Documents recorded in the Register of Deeds office must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Signatures must be original; names must be typed or printed beneath all signatures. (MCLA 565.201 Sec 1-A, E)
- No discrepancy shall exist between names printed in notary acknowledgment or signatures. (MCLA 565.201 Sec 1-B)
- Name and address of all parties must appear on the instruments that convey or encumber real estate. (MCLA 565.201 Sec 1-A, 565.203)
- Name and address of the person who drafted the document must be shown on the document. (MCLA 565.201 A, 565.203)
- Documents executed in Michigan require notary public acknowledgment with signature, county of certification, name of party(s) being acknowledged and expiration date. (MCLA 565.8)
- Certified copy of a Death Certificate or copy of proof of death must be recorded when "survivor" is indicated on the document. (MCLA 565.48)
- Court Orders must be certified and sealed by the Clerk of the Court. (MCLA 565.401, 565.411)
- The document must be: legibly printed or typed in black ink, type size 10pt, white 20lb paper with a blank margin of 2 1/2" at the top of the first page and 1/2" on all other margins. Paper size must be 8 1/2" x 11" and not larger than 8 1/2" x 14". Signatures may be in black or blue ink. (MCLA 565.201 Sec 1)
- Documents must display on the first line of print on the first page a single statement identifying the recordable event that the instrument evidences. (MCLA 565.201 Sec 1(h), 565.201 Sec 3)
- Total value of real property must be stated on the face of the document or affidavit attached. (MCLA 207.504, 207.525)
- Land contracts, warranty deeds or any other deed containing a warranty clause must be tax certified at the Oakland County Treasurer's Office.
The Oakland County Register of Deeds office offers electronic recording of your real estate documents. You will need to register through one of the companies below to begin this service with our office:
Please note: UCC documents and documents related to mortgage foreclosure are not eligible for electronic recording.
Contact the Register of Deeds office for questions regarding electronic recording.