Search Michigan Notaries
To reduce the spread of Coronavirus, and to protect the safety of the public and our staff, the Oakland County Clerks Office is open by appointment only. We strongly encourage you to utilize our online or by-mail options. Listed below are a variety of services and how they can be completed. Please read carefully on how to proceed:
Appointments/Notice to callers
- We continue to experience high call volumes. Phones are being answered between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. For questions relating to the Vital Records Office, call 248-858-0571.
- You may also contact us with questions at
- For questions regarding Concealed Pistol Licenses, call 248-858-0571 or contact us at email@example.com.
To protect the safety of all, please consider an online or by-mail option.
Notary Public Commission applications are available through the Oakland County Clerk's Office. Complete notary responsibilities and application information are also available through the State of Michigan website.
- You must be a resident of Oakland County and be at least 18 years of age to apply as a notary public.
- If you are an out-of-state resident and your principal place of business is in Oakland County you may also apply here.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted to the Oakland County Clerk's Office. Hours are Monday-Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm. Please note our busiest hours are between 11:30am and 1:30pm.
To begin the process, you must obtain a $10,000 surety bond through an insurance agent or company that solicits bond insurance.
Once you receive your surety bond, bring the following items to the Oakland County Clerk's Office:
Notary Public Commission application (must be filled out legibly)
- $10,000 surety bond issued in your name (may be obtained through an insurance provider, yellow pages or
State of Michigan website)
- When filling out the application, your signature must match the name that has been printed as your "Commission Name" at the bottom of the application. (Your bond must match this name as well.)
- Valid driver's license or government issued ID
- Proof of employment (required only when you are an out-of-state resident)
- $10.00 payable in cash, Visa, Discover, MasterCard, money order or in-state personal check made payable to Oakland County Clerk's Office
After swearing to an oath of office and filing your bond with the Clerk's Office, you will then submit your processed notary application an $10.00 fee to the Office of the Great Seal by mail or online.
- By mail - mail application and filing fee ($10.00 payable to 'State of Michigan' to:
Michigan Department of State
Office of the Great Seal
7064 Crowner Dr.
Lansing, MI 48918
- Online - scan the application and pay the $10.00 filing fee online through the Secretary of State website at
www.michigan.gov/sos and click on 'Notary Application.'
Your notary commission will be emailed or mailed to the address provided on your application from the Office of the Great Seal. If you have any questions about your notary application once you have mailed it to their office, you may call them at 888-767-6424 or email at
You may not act as a notary public or perform notorial acts until you are listed as "active" on the State of Michigan website or you have received your notary commission from the Office of the Great Seal which may take several weeks.