Due to the Governor's order, our office is closed to the public and all services have been suspended through April 10th, except for emergency matters.
If you have an emergency for Vital Records, please call 248-464-2506 or 248-464-1602. If you are a funeral home and have an emergency, please call 248-466-4348.
Please utilize our online and by mail services during this time.
Notary Public Commission applications are available through the Oakland County Clerk's Office. Complete notary responsibilities and application information are also available through the State of Michigan website.
- You must be a resident of Oakland County and be at least 18 years of age to apply as a notary public.
- If you are an out-of-state resident and your principal place of business is in Oakland County you may also apply here.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted to the Oakland County Clerk's Office. Hours are Monday-Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm. Please note our busiest hours are between 11:30am and 1:30pm.
To begin the process, you must obtain a $10,000 surety bond through an insurance agent or company that solicits bond insurance.
Once you receive your surety bond, bring the following items to the Oakland County Clerk's Office:
Notary Public Commission application (Must be typed. We cannot accept hand written forms.)
- $10,000 surety bond (may be obtained through your insurance provider, yellow pages or
State of Michigan website)
- When filling out the application, your signature must match the name that has been printed as your "Commissioned" name at the bottom of the application. (Your bond must match this name as well.)
- Valid driver's license or state ID
- Proof of employment (required only when you are an out-of-state resident)
- $10.00 payable in cash, Visa, Discover, MasterCard, money order or in-state personal check made payable to Oakland County Clerk's Office
After swearing to an oath of office and filing your bond with the Clerk's Office, you will then mail your processed notary application with a $10.00 check or money order payable to the 'State of Michigan' to:
Michigan Department of State
Office of the Great Seal
7064 Crowner Dr.
Lansing, MI 48918
Your notary commission will be emailed or mailed to the address provided on your application from the Office of the Great Seal. If you have any questions about your notary application once you have mailed it, you may call them at 888-767-6424.
You may not act as a notary public or perform notorial acts until you are listed as "active" on the State of Michigan website or you have received your notary commission from the Office of the Great Seal which may take several weeks.