For a military veteran residing in Oakland County, it is recommended that you record your military discharge (DD214) for safekeeping with the Oakland County Clerk's office. This is an important document and is usually needed for veterans' benefits.
Bring in your original discharge (which will be immediately returned to you) and a copy will be kept in our office should you, your spouse or an immediate family member need it. Military discharges are confidential and are not allowed to be viewed by the public.
If you reside in Oakland County and have misplaced your discharge, or need assistance with any veterans' benefits program, please contact the
Oakland County Veterans' Services.
To obtain a certified copy of your Military Discharge/DD214 that has been previously recorded with the Oakland County Clerk's office:
- You must provide your valid driver license or state ID. An immediate family member or spouse may request a copy of a military discharge only with a certified copy of a death certificate and proof of relationship (birth certificate, marriage license)
and valid driver's license or state ID.
- The first certified copy is FREE and a fee of $1.00 for each additional copy.
- You must print, complete, and mail the
Veteran's ID Request form DD214. Please do not forget to sign the form.
- You must mail a copy of your valid driver license or state ID. An immediate family member or spouse may request a copy of a military discharge only with a certified copy of a death certificate and proof of relationship (birth certificate, marriage license)
and valid driver license or state ID.
- The first certified copy is FREE and a fee of $1.00 for each additional copy. A money order is the only acceptable payment by mail.
- Place your completed request form, copy of valid driver license or state ID, and money order (if necessary) in an envelope addressed to Oakland County Clerk's Office, Attn: Vital Records.
- Your DD214 will be sent to you by regular mail.
Veterans ID Cards
FREE!! - Oakland County Veterans will be able to obtain a Veterans ID Card through the Oakland County Clerk's Office. You must appear in person to be photographed and bring the items below:
- Original military discharge papers (DD214) - MUST show Honorable Discharge or equivalent status - (unless currently on file with our office)
- Valid driver license or state ID with correct Oakland County address
- No Fee
Veterans may use this ID card to obtain discounts at many merchants in the area. Merchants participate on a voluntary basis and not all are publicized. It is recommended to always ask if a discount is offered. Visit The Military Wallet for a list of some advertised participating merchants.
License to Sell Goods
Act 359 of 1921 provides a veteran's license to former members of the armed forces of the United States to sell their own goods within this state.
To obtain a license to sell goods you will need to apply in person at the Clerk's Office Legal Division. You must be a resident of Oakland County and honorably discharged from service. You must also provide the following documentation:
- Michigan drivers license or state identification card
- Military discharge papers (DD214) or Veteran's ID card.
The license is valid for one year from the date of issuance and there is no cost.
For additional information, please call the Legal Records Division at 248-858-0582.