To reduce the spread of Coronavirus and to protect the safety of the public and staff, the Oakland County Clerks Office is closed to the public, except by appointment only.
We strongly encourage you to utilize our online or by mail options before considering an in-person appointment. Please note, appointments are limited. See below for options in performing each service and read the corresponding web page carefully on how to proceed:
- Order Birth, Death, and Marriage Certificates – order online, by mail or by appointment
- Apply for Marriage License –
Marriage License Packet or by appointment
- Apply to become a Notary Public –
Notary Public Packet or by appointment
- Apply for a NEW Concealed Pistol License – by appointment only
- Renew a Concealed Pistol License –
renew online through MSP
- Assumed Name/Co-Partnership –
by mail only
- Record or obtain Military Discharge (DD214) – by appointment only
- Have a document notarized by a Notary Public – by appointment only
- Home Birth Worksheets – mail to:
Oakland County Vital Records
1200 N. Telegraph, Dept. 413
Pontiac, MI 48341
Appointments/Notice to callers - updated 6/16/2020
- We are experiencing high call volumes. If you cannot reach an agent, please be patient and continue to call. You will not be able to leave a message. Phones are being answered between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- To schedule an appointment and for all questions for the Vital Records Office please call 248-858-0571. Appointments are limited. Please reserve in-person transactions for urgent matters only.
- You may contact us with any questions at
Attention Notary Publics: Per Executive Order 2020-74, notary commissions that expire between March 1, 2020 and June 30, 2020 are extended until June 30, 2020. Per the Office of the Great Seal, when acting as a notary, cross off your expiration date, hand write the new expiration date, initial and add the directive. Example, "expires 6/30/2020, per EO 2020-74". (Be sure to initial your changes.)
For a military veteran residing in Oakland County, it is recommended that you record your military discharge (DD214) for safekeeping with the Oakland County Clerk's office. This is an important document and is usually needed for veterans' benefits.
Bring in your original discharge (which will be immediately returned to you) and a copy will be kept in our office should you, your spouse or an immediate family member need it. Military discharges are confidential and are not allowed to be viewed by the public.
If you reside in Oakland County and have misplaced your discharge, or need assistance with any veterans' benefits program, please contact the
Oakland County Veterans' Services.
To obtain a certified copy of your Military Discharge/DD214 that has been previously recorded with the Oakland County Clerk's office:
- You must provide your valid driver license or state ID. An immediate family member or spouse may request a copy of a military discharge only with a certified copy of a death certificate and proof of relationship (birth certificate, marriage license)
and valid driver's license or state ID.
- The first certified copy is FREE and a fee of $1.00 for each additional copy.
- You must print, complete, and mail the
Veteran's ID Request form DD214. Please do not forget to sign the form.
- You must mail a copy of your valid driver license or state ID. An immediate family member or spouse may request a copy of a military discharge only with a certified copy of a death certificate and proof of relationship (birth certificate, marriage license)
and valid driver license or state ID.
- The first certified copy is FREE and a fee of $1.00 for each additional copy. A money order is the only acceptable payment by mail.
- Place your completed request form, copy of valid driver license or state ID, and money order (if necessary) in an envelope addressed to Oakland County Clerk's Office, Attn: Vital Records.
- Your DD214 will be sent to you by regular mail.
Veterans ID Cards
FREE!! - Oakland County Veterans will be able to obtain a Veterans ID Card through the Oakland County Clerk's Office. You must appear in person to be photographed and bring the items below:
- Original military discharge papers (DD214) - MUST show Honorable Discharge or equivalent status - (unless currently on file with our office)
- Valid driver license or state ID with correct Oakland County address
- No Fee
Veterans may use this ID card to obtain discounts at many merchants in the area. Merchants participate on a voluntary basis and not all are publicized. It is recommended to always ask if a discount is offered. Visit The Military Wallet for a list of some advertised participating merchants.
License to Sell Goods
Act 359 of 1921 provides a veteran's license to former members of the armed forces of the United States to sell their own goods within this state.
To obtain a license to sell goods you will need to apply in person at the Clerk's Office Legal Division. You must be a resident of Oakland County and honorably discharged from service. You must also provide the following documentation:
- Michigan drivers license or state identification card
- Military discharge papers (DD214) or Veteran's ID card.
The license is valid for one year from the date of issuance and there is no cost.
For additional information, please call the Legal Records Division at 248-858-0582.