Order Death Certificate Online
To reduce the spread of Coronavirus and to protect the safety of the public and staff, the Oakland County Clerks Office is closed to the public, except by appointment only.
We strongly encourage you to utilize our online or by mail options before considering an in-person appointment. Please note, appointments are limited. See below for options in performing each service and read the corresponding web page carefully on how to proceed:
- Order Birth, Death, and Marriage Certificates – order online, by mail or by appointment
- Apply for Marriage License –
Marriage License Packet or by appointment
- Apply to become a Notary Public –
Notary Public Packet or by appointment
- Apply for a NEW Concealed Pistol License – by appointment only
- Renew a Concealed Pistol License –
renew online through MSP
- Assumed Name/Co-Partnership –
by mail only
- Record or obtain Military Discharge (DD214) – by appointment only
- Have a document notarized by a Notary Public – by appointment only
- Home Birth Worksheets – mail to:
Oakland County Vital Records
1200 N. Telegraph, Dept. 413
Pontiac, MI 48341
Appointments/Notice to callers - updated 6/16/2020
- We are experiencing high call volumes. If you cannot reach an agent, please be patient and continue to call. You will not be able to leave a message. Phones are being answered between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- To schedule an appointment and for all questions for the Vital Records Office please call 248-858-0571. Appointments are limited. Please reserve in-person transactions for urgent matters only.
- You may contact us with any questions at
Attention Notary Publics: Per Executive Order 2020-131, notary commissions that expire between March 1, 2020 and July 31, 2020 are extended until July 31, 2020. Per the Office of the Great Seal, when acting as a notary, cross off your expiration date, hand write the new expiration date, initial and add the directive. Example, "expires 7/31/2020, per EO 2020-131". (Be sure to initial your changes.)
Certified copies of Death Certificates are available for events that occurred in Oakland County. All copies issued by this office are certified copies and serve as an original document. Death Records prior to 1942 are available in person or by mail only.
- You must provide the full name of the deceased and the date of death. If you do not know the date of death for whom you are looking for, please use the Genealogy Research Service.
Your credit card is authorized for the amount charged at the end of your transaction. Only when the Clerk's Office fulfills your request, and your record(s) have been mailed, will your credit card be charged for the amount of the transaction.
Death Certificates requests received in-person are provided the same day. Please note, our busiest times are 11:30 am to 1:30 pm.
Death Request Form.
- Include payment - see Fees section for more information.
- For payment by credit card - you must include a photocopy (front and back sides) of both your credit card and valid driver license or state ID.
- Include a stamped, self-addressed envelope.
- Requests submitted by mail are processed within 3 business days and should be received within 7-10 business days.