Updated 10/09/2020 - To reduce the spread of Coronavirus and to protect the safety of the public and staff, the Oakland County Clerks Office is closed to the public, except by appointment only.
We strongly encourage you to utilize our online or by mail options before considering an in-person appointment. Please note, appointments are limited. See below for options in performing each service and read the corresponding web page carefully on how to proceed:
- Order Birth, Death, and Marriage Certificates – order online, by mail, or by appointment
- Apply for Marriage License –
by mail using ourMarriage License Packet (we will ensure your license is returned by your wedding date), or by appointment
- Apply to become a Notary Public –
by mail using ourNotary Public Packet, or by appointment
- Apply for a NEW Concealed Pistol License – by appointment only
- Renew a Concealed Pistol License –
renew online through MSP
- To obtain a new PIN, email us at email@example.com and provide a copy of your driver's license showing proof of current address and the last 4 digits of your SSN
- Assumed Name/Co-Partnership –
by mail only
- Record or obtain Military Discharge (DD214) – by appointment only
- Have a document notarized by a Notary Public – by appointment only
- Home Birth Worksheets – mail to:
Oakland County Vital Records
1200 N. Telegraph, Dept. 413
Pontiac, MI 48341
Appointments/Notice to callers
- We are experiencing high call volumes. Phones are being answered between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. For questions relating to the Vital Records Office, call 248-858-0571.
- You may also contact us with questions at
- For questions regarding Concealed Pistol Licenses, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may now schedule appointments online.
Please reserve appointments for urgent matters only, and consider an online or by-mail option instead, to protect the safety of all.
Concealed Pistol License (CPL) applications are available from the Oakland County Clerk's Office. You must apply in person in the county that you reside in. Renewal applications may also be
completed online through the Michigan State Police (MSP). Complete
current laws and application information are also available through the MSP.
All Concealed Pistol Licenses will expire on the date of birth of the applicant. They are issued for a period of no more than 5 years and no less than 4 years, dependent on the applicants issue date and date of birth.
How To Apply
New applicants - You must appear in person at the Oakland County Clerk's Office along with:
Concealed Pistol License Application - print out, complete and bring your application to the Oakland County Clerk's Office.
- Pistol Safety Training certificate -
- Training must be completed within 5 years preceding the date of application.
- Certificate must state "This course complies with Section 5j of 1927 PA 372" and "the individual has successfully completed the course."
- Certificate must contain the name, original signature and telephone number of the course instructor.
- Certificate must contain the name and telephone number of the state agency or a state or national firearms training organization that has certified the individual as an instructor for purposes of this section, his or her instructor certification number, if any, and the expiration date of that certification, which shall be printed on the face of the certificate or attached in a separate document.
- $100.00 payment for license payable in cash, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, money order or in-state personal check.
- Once your application has been paid for and processed at the Clerk's Office, proceed to the Oakland County Sheriff Main Jail - Records Bureau for fingerprinting. The cost for fingerprinting is $15.00 (cash only) and is available Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Renewal applicants - You may apply online through MSP or at the Oakland County Clerk's Office. Renewal applicants are not required to be fingerprinted. You may renew up to 6 months before or one year after the expiration of the current CPL.
To renew online through MSP:
- Complete application though MSP and pay $115.00 fee online.
- Exemption status documentation, if applicable, must be provided to the Oakland County Clerk's Office by fax at 248-858-0416, mail or delivered in person. Documentation must be received by the Clerk's Office before the renewal application can be processed.
To apply in person (not available at this time):
- Print out, complete the Concealed Pistol License Application and bring your application to the Oakland County Clerk's Office.
- Training certificate is not required. However, you must certify (in section II of the application) that you have completed at least three hours of course review and at least one hour of firing range time within the last six months.
- $115.00 payment for license payable in cash, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, money order or in-state personal check.
- Bring in acceptable proof for exemption status, if applicable.
Please note: our busiest hours are between 11:30am and 1:30pm
Purchase Permit Information is available through the Oakland County Sheriff's Office.
- $100 for new license fee (does not include fingerprint fees)
- $15 fingerprint fee (cash only) for new license to be paid at OCSO Records Bureau after application is processed at Clerk's Office
- $115 for renewal license fee
Method of Payments
Cash, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Money Order or Personal Check