Concealed Pistol License (CPL) applications are available from the Oakland County Clerk's Office. You must apply in person in the county that you reside in. Complete current laws and application information are also available through the
Michigan State Police.
All Concealed Pistol Licenses will expire on the date of birth of the applicant. They are issued for a period of no more than 5 years and no less than 4 years, dependent on the applicants issue date and date of birth.
Changes for new applicants beginning December 1, 2015
- Training must be completed within 5 years preceding the date of application.
- Effective October 1, 2004, the Pistol Safety Training certificate must state "This course complies with Section 5j of 1927 PA 372" and "the individual has successfully completed the course".
- The training certificate must contain the name, signature and telephone number of the course instructor.
- Each certificate shall also contain the name and telephone number of the state agency or a state or national firearms training organization that has certified the individual as an instructor for purposes of this section, his or her instructor certification number, if any, and the expiration date of that certification, which shall be printed on the face of the certificate or attached in a separate document.
Renewal applicants - must certify (in section II of the application) that he/she has completed at least three hours of course review and at least one hour of firing range time within the last six months.
How To Apply
Print out and complete the
Concealed Pistol License Application and bring your application to the Oakland County Clerk's Office.
You must appear in person at the Oakland County Clerk's Office along with:
- Pistol Safety Training certificate (for new applicants)
- Certification of course review and firing range time (for renewal applicants which is included in section II of the application)
- Payment for license payable in cash, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, money order or personal check:
- $100.00 for new (does not include fingerprint fees)
- $115.00 for renewed
Once your application has been paid for and processed at the Clerk's Office, new applicants only will proceed to the Oakland County Sheriff Main Jail - Records Bureau for fingerprinting. The cost for fingerprinting is $15.00 (cash only) and is available Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm. Renewal applicants are not required to be fingerprinted.
Please note: our busiest hours are between 11:30am and 1:30pm
Purchase Permit Information (OCSO)
- $100 for new license fee (does not include fingerprint fees as of 12/1/15)
- $15 fingerprint fee (cash only) to be paid at OCSO Records Bureau after application is processed at Clerk's Office
- $115 for renewed license fee
Method of Payments
Cash, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Money Order or In-State Personal Check