Due to the Governor's order, our office is closed to the public and all services have been suspended through April 10th, except for emergency matters.
If you have an emergency for Vital Records, please call 248-464-2506 or 248-464-1602. If you are a funeral home and have an emergency, please call 248-466-4348.
Please utilize our online and by mail services during this time.
Certified copies of Birth Certificates are available for events that occurred in Oakland County. All copies issued by this office are certified copies and serve as an original document. Birth Records prior to 1935 are available in person or by mail only. Birth certificates are confidential records and are only available to the person or parent of the person named on that record. You must show or provide a copy of a valid driver license, state-issued ID or passport.
If you are a legal guardian, legal representative or an heir of the person, additional documentation is required and may include:
- Death certificate of person for birth record you are trying to obtain, along with your birth record to prove you are an heir.
- Guardianship documents
- Custody orders
- Legal representative documents.
You are required to provide these documents in person to our office or via fax or email, along with proper ID.
- To protect from identity theft, we require a copy of valid photo identification, i.e. driver's license, state ID or passport, to be sent to our office. You may scan a copy of your valid identification and send to our office via email or fax 248-858-0416. Your order will not be processed until we receive proof of identity within two days. If you do not possess valid photo identification, you may order birth records from the Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH).
- Your credit card is authorized for the amount charged at the end of your transaction. Only when the Clerk's Office fulfills your request and your record(s) have been mailed, will your credit card be charged for the amount of the transaction.
- Birth records are not public information, so the following must happen in order for the records to be shipped. (If records are not shipped, a letter will be sent to the customer with a reason.)
- Applicants must be named on the record. If a parent is requesting a birth record for his/her child, they must be named on the birth record as the father or mother.
- If the applicant is trying to get his/her own birth record, the information on his/her parents must be correct.
- All requests must have a signature and that signature must match the applicants name.
- All information must match the information on the document: child's name, parents' full names including mother's maiden name, and date of birth. However, leave out any hyphens or apostrophes for names while using the application.
Birth Certificate requests received in-person are provided the same day. You must show your current valid driver license, state ID or passport. To save time, you may print out and complete the
Birth Records Request Form. Please note, our busiest times are 11:30 am to 1:30 pm.
- Include completed
Birth Records Request Form.
- You must photocopy the front and back of your current valid driver license, state ID or passport as identification and send with your request.
- Include payment - see Fees section for more information.
- For payment by credit card - you must include a photocopy (front and back sides) of both your credit card and valid driver license or state ID.
- Include a stamped, self-addressed envelope.
- Requests submitted by mail are processed within 3 business days and should be received within 7-10 business days.