Removing Your Social Security Number from Court Records
You can remove sensitive personal identifiers, including Social Security numbers, if you have had a case in the Oakland County Circuit Court and believe personal information may be in your file.
You must review your file(s) at the Oakland County Clerk's Office, located at 1200 N. Telegraph Rd, Pontiac MI 48341. The Clerk's Office is not responsible for reviewing files on behalf of the public to identify sensitive information. While reviewing your file, determine if there are any sensitive personal identifiers. Files are the property of the 6th Judicial Circuit Court and may not be removed from the County Clerk's Office. Copies are available for $1 per page.
Note: Not all requests will be granted and portions of requests may also be denied depending on court rule, law and/or statute.
For documents filed prior to March of 2006:
- Fill out the Notice of Presence of SSN in Court Documents Form.
- There is no fee associated with this process for removing SSN prior to March of 2006.
- Submit the form to the Oakland County Clerk's Office, including a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of processed documents. If your case is an eFiling case you must submit electronically.
For documents filed after March 1, 2006:
- Fill out the Motion to Remove SSN in Court Documents Form.
- There is a $20.00 motion fee for filing the motion.
- You do not need to fill out a notice of hearing or a praecipe. There will be no formal hearing for this procedure.
- Serve the motion on all counsel of record.
- Fill out and file the attached proof of service with the Clerk's Office after step 4 is completed.
- Submit your documents to the Oakland County Clerk's Office, including a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of processed documents. If your case is an eFiling case you must submit electronically.
For more information, please contact the Oakland County Clerk's Office at (248) 858-0582, or send an email to email@example.com.