Legal Name Change

COVID-19 InformationVisit Court Records for information regarding Clerk's Office court records, filings, and services.

Name Changes can be filed at the Oakland County Clerk's Office.

You must be a resident of Oakland County for at least one year in order to petition the court for a name change. Children must be over the age of one year to process a last name change. Visit Michigan Courts for complete instructions and Michigan Laws regarding name change procedures.

Name change procedure instructions: 
21 years of age or younger
22 years of age or older

Submit to the Oakland County Clerk's Office: