Kathy S. Crawford (R)
Oakland County Commissioner, District 9
Sign up to receive my newsletter.
Boundaries: Includes the Cities of Novi, Northville and the Township of Novi.
First elected: November 2010
Current term: January 1, 2013 - December 31, 2014
Oakland County Board of Commissioners
1200 North Telegraph Road
Pontiac, Michigan, USA, 48341-04214
6275 West Eleven Mile Road
Novi, MI 48374
Phone: 248-858-0100 (County); 248-349-5079 (home)
Fax: 248-858-1572 (County)
Oakland County Committees:
- General Government: Vice Chair
- Finance: Member
- Planning & Building: Former Member
- Ad-Hoc Webcasting: Vice Chair
- Area Agency on Aging 1B Board of Directors
- Oakland County Retirees Compensation and Event Board Member
- OLHSA Board and Executive Board Member
- Oak 65- Senior Citizen Issues
- Lake Board
- County Wide RX Card Committee
- Advisor to the Oakland County Senior Advisory Committee
- 2013 appointed by Novi City Council to the Novi Historical Commission, and is currently Chairman
- Novi Pavilion Shores Historical Committee
- Novi Library Fundraising Committee
- Novi Library Friends volunteer
- Novi Senior Theater cast member and MC for the annual Senior Variety Show
- Past Chair and member of the Novi Retirees Association
- Past Secretary and active member of the Novi Oaks Charter Chapter of the American Business Women's Association
- West Oakland Republican Club
- Oakland County Republican Executive Committee
- 2013 Michigan State Fair Planning Committee
- Novi.org 2011 'Novi's Person of the Year"
- Novi's Outstanding Citizen Award
- Novi's Distinguished Service Award
- Novi Parks and Recreation Foundation "Hugh and Kathy Crawford Award"
- Michigan Recreation and Parks Innovative Programming Award
- City of Novi Honoree on the City's Walk of Fame
- Business and Professional Woman of the Year
- Novi Rotary Foundation "Paul Harris Fellow" Award
- Honorary Lifetime member of the Optimist International and Honor Club Citation Award
- State of Michigan "Minuteman" Award
- Michigan Governor's Award (Governor Milliken)
Commissioner Crawford was a professional in the field of aging for over 30 years. Employed by OLHSA for several years, as a Director of programming for 35 senior citizen nutrition sites throughout Oakland and Livingston counties. Employed by the City of Novi in 1981 to plan and implement a Novi Senior Center as well as comprehensive services for Novi's older adults. A wide variety of programs and services were implemented, such as senior transportation, fitness, travel, senior theater shows, recreation Pacific Rim seniors, senior clogging club, as well as the eventual building of the Novi Senior Center and senior housing, Meadowbrook Commons. Commissioner Crawford is one of the founders of the Michigan Association of Senior Centers. She assisted the State of Michigan in writing the rules to certify professionals in the field of aging and she was one of Michigan's first Senior Directors to be certified. Commissioner Crawford was appointed by congressman McCotter to be his delegate to the 2005 Whitehouse Conference on aging. In addition, was appointed by Michigan Attorney General Cox, to conduct workshops for citizens regarding identity theft.
She retired from the City of Novi Parks and Recreation Department in 2004 to launch her business; Kathy Crawford Communications. She currently provides innumerable workshops and motivational programs to groups and organizations. She has authored several workbooks "Stir Up Some Fun" and "Programs With Pizzazz", as well as a hilarious memoir entitled
"Two Broads Abroad", a memoir co-authored with a friend after their five-week romp throughout the UK in search of people who looked like them. Kathy frequently escorts senior trips and is also an active performer on stage at the Novi Theater.
In 2007, Crawford was elected to the Novi City Council and served three years before being elected as Oakland County Commissioner for District #9. She was re-elected in November of 2012 for a second term.
She was appointed to the Novi Consultant Review Committee, the SEMCOG General Assembly, the MML Energy and Technology Committee, and the MML Legislative Governance. She was past chair and is an active member of the City of Novi Retirees Association. She is a founder and active member of the Novi Town Hall Series. Commissioner Crawford was also the secretary and is an active member of the Novi Oaks Chapter of American Business Women's Association, the Novi Library Friend/Library Fundraising Committee and the Library Jubilee Committee, the Novi Library Writer Group and the Novi Senior Theater Member.
Commissioner Kathy Crawford and her husband Hugh have been married for 49 years, have three children and two grandchildren. Hugh is currently serving his final two-year term in the Michigan State House of Representatives for District #38 and Commissioner Crawford is running for his seat in the Michigan State House