Michigan’s International Business Address
Oakland County is home to more than 1,000 foreign-owned firms from 40 countries :
See the Map
An Export Hub to North America
Locating in Oakland County gives companies access to not only the U.S. market but also to Canada and Mexico
Oakland County’s top foreign-owned OEM suppliers come from:
- United Kingdom
- South Korea
- Educated Residents - More than 52% of Oakland County residents have an Associate’s Degree or higher
- Technical Talent - Michigan is #1 in the concentration of engineers — some 104,000
Research and Development Hub
- With more than $12 billion spent, Michigan ranks fourth in U.S. for private spending on R&D
- Oakland County ranks ninth in the U.S. for the most patents awarded, and the region has the first U.S. Patent Office outside of Washington D.C.
- With more than 21,000 workers employed as industrial and commercial designers or industrial engineers, the region has the highest concentration of both occupations in the U.S.
- More than 70% of Michigan’s OEM parts suppliers are based in Oakland County
U.S. Census Bureau, ACS 5-year estimates, 2015; U.S.
Bureau of Labor Statistics; U.S. Patent and Trademark Office;
Oakland County EDCA