Oakland County is Michigan's domestic and international business address. We have international diversity that few states or even some countries can match. FCA, BorgWarner (Germany), SAIC USA (China), Brose (Germany), Meritor (USA), Denso (Japan) and Valeo (France) all have their North American headquarters in Oakland County.
You can reach anywhere in the North American market from here. The county ranked 13th nationally in total exports, with our businesses producing $14.5 billion in merchandise exports. You can access suppliers and technical talent. We have one of the nation's leading high-tech workforces and many research facilities. You can't say innovation and international business without thinking Oakland County.
Consider the following about Oakland County:
- Home to 1,040 international firms from 40 countries
- Tech248 is connecting the county’s 2,000+ IT/tech firms
- Oakland County and Southeast Michigan have among the highest concentration nationally of graduates with science engineering degrees
- Nearly 3,800 patents were awarded to Southeast Michigan inventors and firms in 2013 and the region has one of only 4 U.S. Patent and Trademark Offices outside of Washington, D.C.
- 64 of the Global 100 Automotive OEMs have operations in the county
- Nearly 44 percent of our residents have at least a bachelor’s degree compared to 30 percent nationally
- Medical Main Street® is home to 4,700 life science and health care businesses
- More than 1,400 lakes and the headwaters of 5 major rivers within our 910 square miles
- Minutes away from three international trade crossings with Canada
- Direct flights to Japan, China and Europe are minutes away
- Air commerce is easily accessible from Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW), Oakland County International Airport, and Bishop International (FNT)
Sources: U.S. Census Bureau, American Community Survey, 2013, 1-year estimates; U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, Realcomp II, Ltd.; Southeast Michigan Council of Governments; U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics; and ESRI.