Marriage License applications are available through the Oakland County Clerk's Office. You must apply in person at the Vital Records office or online.
The Marriage Information Sheet Includes all information necessary to complete the application. Please note this is not the application for marriage license.
The following is required:
1. You must be 18 years of age to apply for a marriage application in Michigan. Persons 16 and 17 years of age must show a certified copy of their birth certificate and have written consent of one parent or legal guardian, who must appear at the time of application with picture identification.
2. For the purpose of marriage application, residency is determined by a current valid driver's license or state I.D.:
- If you are a Michigan resident, you must apply in the county where you live. If both parties are Michigan residents, you may apply in either county. The license is valid throughout the state.
- If both parties are out-of-state residents, you must apply in the county where you are going to be married. The license is valid in that county only.
3. The following is required of both parties:
- Valid driver's license or state ID showing current address.
- Birth certificate or valid passport. If passport is used instead of birth certificate, full names of both parents and the state or country where they were born must be provided at time of application.
- Social Security numbers of both parties pursuant to MCL 551.102.
4. Fee per couple: $20.00 for Michigan residents; $30.00 for out-of-state residents.
5. Apply in person or online.
- Your marriage license will expire 33 days from the date of application. Do not apply if your ceremony will be held more than 34 days from today.
PICK UP/WAITING PERIOD INFORMATION
Once you apply in person or online and have met the above requirements, the marriage license becomes valid on the third day following application. It must be picked up at our office as follows:
||Pick up - on or after:|
*Online applications only. License is not available for pick-up on weekends or holidays.
Please Note: One or both parties must appear to apply for the marriage license, or if applied online, you must pick the license up in person. If only one applicant is present, you must have all items listed above for both parties (a photo copy, front and back, of your fiancé's driver's license or state ID will be accepted).