Please note: Our online application has been removed due to upcoming changes in the law effective December 1, 2015. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Concealed Pistol License (CPL) applications are available from the Oakland County Clerk's Office. You must apply in person in the county that you reside in. Complete current laws and application information are also available through the
Michigan State Police.
Changes for new applicants beginning December 1, 2015
Current new applicants until November 30, 2015
- Training must be completed within 5 years preceding the date of application.
- The training certificate must contain the name, signature and telephone number of the course instructor.
- In addition to "This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372," after December 1, 2015, each certificate shall also contain the name and telephone number of the state agency or a state or national firearms training organization that has certified the individual as an instructor for purposes of this section, his or her instructor certification number, if any, and the expiration date of that certification, which shall be printed on the face of the certificate or attached in a separate document.
(or your most recent license expired before July 1, 2004) - must complete a Pistol Safety Training course:
- Effective October 1, 2004, the Pistol Safety Training certificate must state
"This course complies with Section 5j of 1927 PA 372" and
"the individual has successfully completed the course".
- The Pistol Safety Training certificate must also contain the printed name and signature of the course instructor.
Renewal applicants - must certify (in section II of the application) that he/she has completed at least three hours of course review and at least one hour of firing range time within the last six months.
All Concealed Pistol Licenses will expire on the date of birth of the applicant. They are issued for a period of no more than 5 years and no less than 4 years, dependent on the applicants issue date and date of birth.
Effective until November 30, 2015 - CPL applicants may not be required to meet with the Concealed Weapons Board unless requested by the board. The Concealed Weapons Board meets every Tuesday. All applicants, upon approval, will receive their CPL cards in the mail in approximately 8 weeks.
HOW TO APPLY
Print out and complete the Concealed Pistol License Application and bring your application to the Oakland County Clerk's Office.
must appear in person at the Oakland County Clerk's Office along with:
- Pistol Safety Training certificate (for
- Certification of course review and firing range time (for
renewal applicants which is included in section II of the application)
- Payment for license payable in cash, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, money order or personal check:
- $105.00 for new and renewed until 11/30/15
- $100.00 for new as of 12/1/15 (does not include fingerprint fees)
- $115.00 for renewed as of 12/1/15
- Passport-quality photograph (may be obtained while at the Clerk's Office for a $10.00 fee) -
Photo not needed after 12/1/15
Once your application has been paid for and processed at the Clerk's Office,
applicants only will proceed to the Oakland County Sheriff Main Jail - Records Bureau for fingerprinting. The cost for fingerprinting is $15.00
and is available Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Renewal applicants are not required to be fingerprinted.
Please note: our busiest hours are between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.