Certified copies of Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates are available for these events that occurred in Oakland County. All copies issued by this office are certified copies with a raised seal and serve as an 'original' document. Birth Records prior to 1935 or Marriage/Death Records prior to 1942 are available in person or by mail only.
The following information is required:
- Birth Certificate: Birth certificates are confidential records and are only available to the person or parent of the person named on that record. You must show, or provide a copy of, a valid driver license, state-issued ID or passport. If you are a legal guardian, legal representative or an heir of the person, additional documentation is required.
- Marriage Certificate: Marriage licenses must have been applied for in Oakland County to request a copy. You must provide the date of the marriage and both spouse's full names before the marriage.
- Death Certificate: You must provide the full name of the deceased and the date of death.
HOW TO ORDER
Important - PLEASE READ BEFORE PROCEEDING! For online BIRTH REQUESTS only: To protect you from identity theft, we require a copy of valid photo identification, i.e. driver's license, state ID or passport, to be sent to our office. You may scan a copy of your valid identification and email it to us at email@example.com or fax it to our office at 248-858-0416. Your order will not be processed until we receive proof of identity, within two days. If you do not possess valid photo identification you may order birth records from the Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH).
Birth, Death or Marriage Certificates requests received in-person are provided the same day. For BIRTH REQUESTS only - you must show your current valid driver license, state ID or passport. To save time, you may print out and complete the Birth, Marriage, Death Request Form.
Include payment - see "Fees" section (above right) for more information.
- For BIRTH REQUESTS only - you must photocopy the front and back of your current valid driver license, state ID or passport as identification and send with your request.
Include a stamped, self-addressed envelope.
Requests submitted by mail are processed within 3 business days and you should receive your copy(s) within 7-10 business days.
- For payment by credit card - you must include a photocopy (front and back sides) of both your credit card and valid driver license or state ID.