5 Ways to Prevent Property Tax Foreclosure
- If your property is your home, or principle residence, make certain that you have claimed a "Principle Residence Exemption" on your income tax.
- If you did not file an income tax return, you may be eligible for a Homestead Property Tax Credit from the State of Michigan.
- If you meet the eligibility requirements, you may claim a poverty exemption.
- If you meet the eligibility requirements, you may also claim a hardship extension, granting you more time to pay your back taxes without losing your property.
- Contact the Office of Oakland County Treasurer Andy Meisner or your local treasurer immediately if you are having trouble paying your property taxes.
Oakland County Resources that can Help You!
Human Services, Housing Counseling, Employment Training and General Assistance Contact Information:
Oakland County Department of Human Services
United Way of Oakland County
Oakland County Housing Counseling Services
Oakland County Veteran Services
Community Housing Network, Inc.
248-928-0111 ext. 1380
Lighthouse of Oakland County
Michigan Works! (employment training)
Oakland Livingston Human Services Agency
Gleaners Food Bank
Community Services of Oakland County
Common Ground Sanctuary (24-hr. crisis helpline)
Oakland County Foreclosure Prevention Initiative
HAVEN (domestic violence 24-hr. crisis helpline)
Oakland County Health Department