Message from the Sheriff:
The Oakland County Sheriff's Office is proud of the steps we have taken to be prepared for any type of emergency or disaster, natural or manmade. With news of severe weather taking a devastating toll on citizens, I want to encourage all residents to be prepared. While local law enforcement are first responders and are there for residents should an emergency occur, local citizens can do their part. The keys to being prepared include 1.) being informed, 2.) making a plan, and 3.) making a kit.
Please take a moment to review the questions below. If an emergency and or disaster should occur…..
· Do you have a family plan?
· Do you know the emergency plan for work and/or school?
· Do you have disaster supply kit in your home?
· Is your home equipped with the appropriate safety devices?
· Do you have a meeting place outside your home if you must evacuate?
· Are family records and documents protected in a safe place?
· Do you have contacts and/or family members to stay with in other areas?
· Do you know the numbers of local authorities and emergency services?
If you answered "no" to any of the above questions, please take some time to sit down and review the Sheriff's Emergency Preparedness Guide with your family. Keep it in a safe place and refer to it if an occasion arises when you might need to implement your family action plan. Taking these few small steps could make a startling difference when faced with a crisis situation.
Active Shooter Action Plan-Please see this critical safety information
Operation Medicine Cabinet Announces Newest Prescription Drug Drop Off Site- White Lake Police Department Becomes Twentieth Location in Oakland County
Operation Medicine Cabinet
™, an outstanding prescription drug take back program which provides citizens a means to properly dispose of their expired and/or unused prescriptions NO QUESTIONS ASKED, now has twenty drop-off locations
around Oakland County. Operation Medicine Cabinet™ illustrates our commitment to keeping all of our citizens safer, protecting our young people, and other unauthorized users from the harmful misuse of prescription drugs, understanding the needs of seniors, and the environmental implications related to improper disposal of medications.
(Help Eliminate Auto Theft) is Michigan's statewide auto theft prevention program that coordinates citizen action with law enforcement agencies through a confidential toll-free tip line for reporting information on stolen vehicles, chop shops, and suspected auto theft activities including insurance fraud, identity theft and carjackings. Call 1-800-242-HEAT 24 hours a day to report auto theft!
Telephone Solicitation Warning:
The Oakland County Sheriff's Office is a professional police organization that properly equips its deputies using funds from the County budget. The Sheriff's Office does not do any telephone soliciting of any kind, nor do we endorse the fundraising efforts of any organization claiming to be affiliated with the Sheriff’s Office. For more information, click here
Avoiding Home Improvement Scams
- Each Spring scam artists prey on unsuspecting home owners sometimes costing them thousands of dollars. Sheriff Bouchard tells us how we can avoid becoming a victim of home improvement scams. (podcast)
Protecting Your Child Against Internet Crimes
- Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard talks about internet safety and how to protect your children against online predators. (podcast)
Help Keep Young Drivers Safe -
Sheriff Michael Bouchard talks about the STOPPED Program and how parents can get involved in this parental notification program to promote safe driving. (podcast
- Listen as Sheriff Bouchard talks about ways you can protect yourself and your loved ones from becoming a scam victim. (podcast)
Protecting Yourself from Law Enforcement Impersonators -
Sheriff Bouchard is warning citizens to beware of con artists trying to pose as a law enforcement official to gain access to personal information and property.