Pontiac, Michigan -- Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson distributed $31,750 among 17 southeast Michigan charities today during a ceremony in the lobby of the Executive Office Building. The funds were raised by county employees over the course of 2011 from Casual Day donations.
"Oakland County employees are generous even during tough times," said Patterson. "Casual Day is one of many ways our employees give back throughout the year."
Casual Day recipients for 2011 include:
• American Diabetes Association - Bingham Farms, Michigan
• Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center - Birmingham, Michigan
• Child Abuse and Neglect Council (CARE House) - Pontiac, Michigan
• Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Metropolitan Detroit-NW Ohio Chapter - Troy, Michigan
• Donate Life Coalition of Michigan - Commerce, Michigan
• FernCare - Ferndale, Michigan
• Give-A-Christmas Year Round - Troy, Michigan
• Kids Kicking Cancer - Detroit, Michigan
• PKD Foundation (National Kidney Foundation) - Detroit, Michigan
• Oxford/Orion FISH - Orion Township
• Paint Creek Center for the Arts - Rochester, Michigan
• POH Children’s Health Services - Pontiac, Michigan
• Rainbow Connection - Rochester, Michigan
• SandCastles Grief Support Program - Detroit, Michigan
• Toys for Tots - Waterford, Michigan
• William E. Scripps Estate/Guest House, Inc. - Lake Orion, Michigan
• Winning Futures - Warren, Michigan
In addition, seven additional individuals and organizations such as the American Heart Association and Susan G. Komen's Passionately Pink for the Cure received funds totaling $10,700.
"Since Casual Day's inception 19 years ago, Oakland County employees have donated more than a half million dollars, touching the lives of thousands of people," said Patterson.
For media inquiries only, contact Bill Mullan, media and communications officer, at 248-858-1048. Photos of the event are available by emailing a request to email@example.com